Jiffy reefing to cockpit

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Walter Hobbs

Jiffy reefing to cockpit

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Jiffy reefing to cockpit.

On a previous boat, a Seasprite 23, she came with jiffy reefing lines rigged to the cockpit. I enjoyed these.
My present boat, a CD 27, has 2 reef points with the tails rigged to cleats on the boom. As you may know, this requires a trip out of the cockpit to the mast to lower the sail to the desired reef point and then tugging on the reefing line to pull the clew into place. Then securing that line to the cleat on the boom.

I know some will suggest reef early before weather gets nasty. This I try to do but not always successfully.

The rig I am thinking of would run the reefing lines, and the halyard to blocks at the mast base, then to a deck organizer, then to cam cleats or line stoppers on the cabin top within reach of the cockpit. I would probably need to install a winch too.

Is there a simpler way. I don't like all that gear on the deck. And drilling all the holes in the cabin top. Maybe there is a way to do this that I am not aware of. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
frankfurder

Re: Jiffy reefing to cockpit

Post by frankfurder »

Walter, I did a similar setup on my cd25d, but only have the second reef and main halyard led back to,cockpit. 3 lines vs 5. A winch was necessary for raising the main and probably for the reef due to friction. You may want to,evaluate your topping lift for adjustment in the cockpit to assist with the clew.
I used a fostner bit to drill mounting bolt holes and filled with epoxy to keep the water out of the core. On my boat there were places in the headliner with space between the deck and places with no space, requiring some mounting challenges, but so far working well.
I do think this is the simplest arrangement to lead the lines back.