anybody familiar with Southwest Harbor Deer Isle Maine

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Megunticook

anybody familiar with Southwest Harbor Deer Isle Maine

Post by Megunticook »

Anybody done that? I need to go ashore to the country club for a memorial service on Friday and it's very close and well protected, looks like a public access road too.

I'd just be there for 3 hours Friday afternoon, would row ashore. Will be low tide though. Love to hear from anyone who's been there or who knows it well.

Plan B is just to use Sylvester Cove further up but that would be about an hour walk.
Carl Thunberg

Re: anybody familiar with Southwest Harbor Deer Isle Maine

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Nope. That's one place I've never been. With so many good anchorages at Fox Islands Thorofare to the west, Merchants Row to the south, and Eggemoggin Reach to the northeast, it never even crossed my mind to anchor in Southwest Harbor. I'm guessing by the lack of responses, that others do the same thing. Did you check Taft and Rindlaub? I leant my copy out, so I can't look it up. Of course, there's also the option of driving over the Deer Isle Bridge, but what's the fun in that?
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

This is a bit late, but you can anchor anywhere in Southwest Harbor OUTSIDE of the mooring fields. Be sure not to anchor in the channel. Try to anchor near the north mooring field since it is closer to town and the town docks (there are two). The upper town dock is closer to town. You may want to contact the harbormaster to see if one of the town’s rental moorings is available. The harbormaster can be contacted on VHF CH. 9 or 16 or by phone at 207-244-7913.

This may help: https://www.usharbors.com/harbor/maine/ ... harbor-me/
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

Thanks, that's a different Southwest Harbor--the better-known one on Mt. Desert Isle. The place I'm talking about is on the west side of Deer Isle. I had an email exchange with someone at the Deer Isle yacht club (they're just north of SW Harbor in Sylvester Cove) and his advice was stay away. Rocks plus big flats at low tide. Nothing like local knowledge!