Active Captain on Aqua Maps

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Jim Evans

Active Captain on Aqua Maps

Post by Jim Evans »

I'd been looking for a way to use Active Captain on my iPhone since the Blue Seas app has been discontinued, and Garmin bought Active Captain. Up until now, I thought the only way to use Active Captain was to either purchase some expensive electronic charts from Garmin to use in their app, or have a new(ish) wi-fi capable Garmin chartplotter. I've been happy using either my old Garmin GPSMap 48, or handhelds, in the Chesapeake and have no need for a new chartplotter.

Anyway, if you're in a similar situation wanting to use Active Captain on your devices, I discovered that an app called Aqua Maps (http://www.globalaquamaps.com/index.html) works great with Active Captain on my iPhone or iPad. I like it very much. I believe it's also compatible with Android. I did have to subscribe to a $5 annual fee for access to their electronic charts of the area, but I'm ok with that.

Just thought I'd pass this on.
Jim Evans