Fuel Filters for the Green Ogre (MD7A)

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

S/V Ethan Grey

Fuel Filters for the Green Ogre (MD7A)

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

Trying to keep the beast alive as long as possible, so I’ve been looking into primary and secondary fuel filters. I have the OEM Fram filter housing (Black with orange cap). I’ve been trying to figure out the best filter combination, without moving to a Racor or different set up.

I can’t find any information on the actual filter capability of the FRAM CCS1136. I looked all over and the only thing I could find was someone in the archive stating it is a 5 micron. That seems to be very restrictive for a primary filter.

I then started looking at the secondary filter and the ones I found were 14-20 micron, which wouldn’t make sense to me to have a primary filter so restrictive and a secondary filter that was basically useless.

So, I have decided to go with this setup:
Primary fuel filter, Baldwin PF936 - 20 micron as stated on Grainger.com (couldn’t find the details from Baldwin)
Secondary fuel filter, Baldwin BF7921 - 5 micron absolute per the manufacturer

I think they should fit, but I won’t know for sure until I have them in hand and do a fit check. I think given what I could find out, this should provide adequate filtration without being overly restrictive.

As always, open to comments and criticisms. I may make the change to a Racor eventually, but it’s not on the short list right now. Either way, I would set up the same with a 20 micron on the primary, and the most restrictive on the secondary. Anyone find a better secondary filter? 1-2 micron?

-david
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
S/V Ethan Grey

Re: Fuel Filters for the Green Ogre (MD7A)

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

I also meant to ask if anyone has seen in any of the manuals, what the desired filter capacity is for the MD7A? I didn’t see where a desired micron filter size was specified in the manuals that I have.
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947