Main Sail Cut Back

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

jmaue

Main Sail Cut Back

Post by jmaue »

Is anyone familiar with this term? Spoke with a loft that has a mainsail from a CD28 and said it was made with a cut back and likely intended to roll around the boom when reefing. Did Cape Dory design such a thing on the 28's?
Chrisa006

Re: Main Sail Cut Back

Post by Chrisa006 »

I know they made it for the CD25 at one time.
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
Kailua Kid

Post by Kailua Kid »

If “cut back” means removing sail area at the leach, that would not only limit performance by reducing sail area but would move the center of work forward in relation to the center of lateral resistance, which would tend to reduce or remove weather helm. Maybe pass on that sail?
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I believe the sailmakers term “cut back” refers to the material which has to be tailored to accommodate the gooseneck fitting and where the first sail slide enters the sail track.
A “roachless” main has the leach tapered to facilitate roller reefing, if I recall correctly.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
jmaue

Post by jmaue »

Jim,

What you stated sound just what the loft manager stated. I'm not at all familiar with this and so I didn't present to the group properly.

So how does this work? Will this sail perform properly on a "non roller reefing"? Of do I keep looking?