Perry Nut Zinc wont fit?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

AMcC

Perry Nut Zinc wont fit?

Post by AMcC »

I bought a Perry Nut Zinc, size 3/4, to fit my Cape Dory 25D 1" stainless prop shaft with brass nuts - but it doesn't fit! The nuts seem just a bit too big (or the zinc opening too small) to fit... I emailed boatzincs and they responded: "Dimension for the ABYC-standard propeller hardware can be found here. The P3/4 anode is compatible with it."... perhaps my nuts aren't "ABYC-standard"? Help?
The shaft had a collar zinc on it when I bought the boat a couple of years ago, which is now ready for replacement, but I'd like to go with the original recommendation, the Perry Nut Zinc.
-Alec
Jim Walsh

Re: Perry Nut Zinc wont fit?

Post by Jim Walsh »

I also have a 1” shaft and a prop nut anode. The shaft nut has a 3/4” thread. Some current vendors use the series “C” designation which was the original size specified by Camp.
I will hazard a guess that the current vendors tolerances may not be universal such that the shaft nut from one vendor may not fit an anode from another vendor, i.e. they are not interchangeable.
You may have to buy a replacement anode which includes the shaft nut and replace your existing shaft nut.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

We had a similar problem a few years ago. We ended up buying a new set of bronze plus zinc. That has worked fine thereafter. I think that the chandler may have changed suppliers, and the tolerances were different. Very frustrating when you have the boat out of the water for a short time, and have to make extra trips.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
AMcC

Post by AMcC »

Thanks, all. I was guessing that the nuts were off - there's a bad joke in there somewhere - I'll pull them again and see if the yard has replacements that will fit the zinc.
Have a great season!
-Alec