" Leoma" update 4/15/21

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JD-MDR

" Leoma" update 4/15/21

Post by JD-MDR »

Working on running rigging. Going thru all lines and blocks etc. lazy jacks not installed yet. I'm letting a rigging guy help me. He is kinda a friend/ neighbor who took over his father's business. I'm looking for some input on tranducers. I have the Garmin 742 xs plus. Garmin is asking me for the dead rise angle /pitch. I don't know what to tell them. I plan to haul out December 1 . I think I should pull my rudder. I noticed when I was out last week in 30 kt winds the rudder makes some thumping noise when hard over. I wanted to pull the rudder when I bought the boat in San Francisco 4 years ago but the yard didn't think it was necessary. Windvane seems like it is working good. I can feel very little resistance when turning the wheel by hand. The Jeffa sprocket drive auto pilot has a centrifugal clutch. That's one of their bragging points and the small draw on the battery. I'm kinda ignorant on electronics but the Amp gauge says about "3" when the auto pilot is engaged. Don't have any new photos to share.. P.S. My Dad (91) has recovered from Covid but he aged about 10 years. My sister (71)recovered also. She was deadly sick. I was not affected.
Attachments
F1.jpg
F1.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 208 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jim Walsh

Re: " Leoma" update 4/15/21

Post by Jim Walsh »

Good to hear your father is doing well.
Your sister looks wonderful for her age. :wink:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

JD,
nice pic! My guess is that your rudder shoe is worn out and that's what's causing the thumping. I'd defer to others but I think that on haul out, you'll need to grind/drive out two pins that secure the shoe, do any needed fiberglass work, then re-install the shoe using pins. Pretty sure the shoe is a Spartan catalog part.
It's a kind of urgent repair as all that thumping is hitting the upper tiller bearing which is meant to live a much quieter existence. But I think you're OK for a season of inshore sailing.
Jeff
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

JD-MDR wrote:Working on running rigging. Going thru all lines and blocks etc. lazy jacks not installed yet. I'm letting a rigging guy help me. He is kinda a friend/ neighbor who took over his father's business. I'm looking for some input on tranducers. I have the Garmin 742 xs plus. Garmin is asking me for the dead rise angle /pitch. I don't know what to tell them. I plan to haul out December 1 . I think I should pull my rudder. I noticed when I was out last week in 30 kt winds the rudder makes some thumping noise when hard over. I wanted to pull the rudder when I bought the boat in San Francisco 4 years ago but the yard didn't think it was necessary. Windvane seems like it is working good. I can feel very little resistance when turning the wheel by hand. The Jeffa sprocket drive auto pilot has a centrifugal clutch. That's one of their bragging points and the small draw on the battery. I'm kinda ignorant on electronics but the Amp gauge says about "3" when the auto pilot is engaged. Don't have any new photos to share.. P.S. My Dad (91) has recovered from Covid but he aged about 10 years. My sister (71)recovered also. She was deadly sick. I was not affected.

Great update. Very happy to hear your family made it through the virus. You have to be relieved.

I agree with Jeff, sure sounds like a worn pin in the shoe. But, I don’t think it is serious necessarily. It could just be sloppy and thumping. But you can be sure till you look at it. It’s a major PITA to drop the rudder. But it’s not complicated. You are a go getter and not fazed by hard work. You’ll have to grind off the fiberglass laid over the shoe. About 30-45 min. Drive out a couple bronze pins. Disconnect the fittings on the rudder post to include the quadrant and key and stop collar.. Dig a hole or lift the boat high enough so you can pull the rudder down and through the stuffing box. It’s a half or whole day project to drop the rudder depending on what you run into. About the same to get it back in but you’ll need to let the epoxy and bisexual cure for a couple days. And then the rudder will be out however long it takes to make the repairs.

Your sister is a beauty.
Keith

Post by Keith »

I had the same problem with banging on my CD30C. The SS pin in the shoe was fine it was the bronze cup that is up in the rudder that was worn. I designed a custom delrin bushing to fit and after about 3000 nautical miles las season it is still very tight.

Search on: Attachment(s) Loose fitting rudder on shoe pin

I couldn't figure out how to attach the thread.

Keith

PS PM me if you need any details.