Taking a YSM8 out of a CD27'

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

jfischgrund

Taking a YSM8 out of a CD27'

Post by jfischgrund »

Has anyone had any experience with taking a YSM8 out of Cape Dory 27"? Can it be hauled out without cutting any fiberglass? I think mine needs to come out. Can it be replaced with a Yanmar 13? Any advice would be very welcome!
JOE
jfischgrund

Re: Taking a YSM8 out of a CD27'

Post by jfischgrund »

And a follow-up question: will a Yanmar 2Ym15 fit into a CD 27? Thanks?
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

For getting it out of the boat, most narratives I've seen talk about taking as many pieces off the engine as possible. Even then, it's probably a tight fit.

Google says the 2Ym15 is 230 lbs and 613 mm x 463 mm x 600 mm, the feet are 370 mm apart, and there is 115 mm of engine that hangs below those feet.

YSM8 is 608mm x 436mm x 602mm, with 66mm of engine hanging below the feet. I can't quite determine the width at the feet on the drawings.

As the owner of a 27 with a YSM8, I'm not sure I'd been keen in putting anything much larger in the existing spot. But my tolerance for all things engine related is pretty low as is.

References:
http://www.devill.net/Documentation/Yanmar/YSM-8-12.pdf
https://www.yanmar.com/marine/product/engines/2ym15/
jfischgrund

Post by jfischgrund »

Thanks for the response -- the link for the YSM 8 information is very useful. Yanmar recommends the 1GM10 so I am leaning in that direction if the YSM8 is beyond repair. I too am concerned about unintended consequences as a result of a larger engine.
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Fred Mueller has repowered his 27. I think with a Beta. I'm a little surprised that he has not responded to this thread. I've been aboard, beautiful job, just don't remember which model.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

I assumed the Beta wasn't asked at first because of price. The Beta 14 is the standard option for this size boat.

I'd also add the 2ym15 is also about 100 lbs heavier than the YSM8, FWIW.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

csoule13 wrote:I assumed the Beta wasn't asked at first because of price. The Beta 14 is the standard option for this size boat.

I'd also add the 2ym15 is also about 100 lbs heavier than the YSM8, FWIW.
The 2YM15 is reported to weigh 2 pounds more than the YSM8, but we all know how credible the information on the internet is so there’s that....
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

The YSM 8 comes right out with a few things removed ... no need to enlarge the access under the companionway. More important is a good and solid method of extraction. We used a rope on a fork lift. If I was on my own on the hard I’d get scaffolding and a block and fall.

Here is a link to a series of pix during my rebuild a few years ago ... I think all Nells ( hired mechanic) removed was the exhaust, decoupled the mounts, and that’s about it. Pix #7 shows the ysm jsut after coming out ... there was a little bumping and scraping and sailor language but really it was out in 5 minutes - but the guys I had doing it do it for a living.

Similarly the new Beta 14 went in with a few items removed ... go to pix #11

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zlpoiawhys16 ... KNGia?dl=0

I have no idea if an old 2 cylinder Yanmar can be stuffed into that space but I wouldn’t want to be the one to do it. I do know that the Beta 14 fits and sits nicely on the easily modified YSM 8 OEM engine pan and mounts, which is a great thing to retain. I went that way because Andy Denmark and others on this site had done it nicely. You only need to modify the forward mounts.

Cheers

Edit ... the current small 2 cylinder Yanmar would fit - not sure if the old YSM pan could be retained... if I were doing this again I might go that rout. Why? because it comes stock with a 125 amp alternator as opposed to 40 on the Beta. Yanmar correctly surmises that often its battery charging that the motor is being run for ...not locomotion. I was not keenly aware of that fact when I bought the new Beta.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
jfischgrund

Post by jfischgrund »

Thank you so much, Fred. This is really helpful! I'll have to do some research on the Beta. I may pm you if that is ok. Hope to see you on the Bay this summer!
Thanks again.
JOE
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

or just call

508 250 1164
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay