Roller furling drum height

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Roller furling drum height

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

As I plan a roller furling headsail on my CD28 I have to decide how high the bottom of the drum needs to be off the deck (the sailmaker needs to know the length available for the sail). The issue is clearance for the anchor. Measuring with the anchor in place is pretty straightforward. But I'm trying to envision what I need for room when retrieving the anchor (no windlass). Interested in anyone's experience with this dimension.

It seems the lower the better from a sailing perspective, but banging the anchor chain against the drum isn't recommended.

As always, interested in opinions.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Jim Walsh

Re: Roller furling drum height

Post by Jim Walsh »

Jerry Hammernik wrote:As I plan a roller furling headsail on my CD28 I have to decide how high the bottom of the drum needs to be off the deck (the sailmaker needs to know the length available for the sail). The issue is clearance for the anchor. Measuring with the anchor in place is pretty straightforward. But I'm trying to envision what I need for room when retrieving the anchor (no windlass). Interested in anyone's experience with this dimension.

It seems the lower the better from a sailing perspective, but banging the anchor chain against the drum isn't recommended.

As always, interested in opinions.
I took this picture just after I had removed my sails for the season. My headsail furling drum does not interfere with the anchor whether it’s raised by hand or with the windlass. My headsail also has a tack pendant, about three inches long, so the sail doesn’t touch the bow rail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time