Well, to much ice to sail but time well spent

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ghockaday

Well, to much ice to sail but time well spent

Post by ghockaday »

No, it's not a boat project but a little rainy day whittling makes the day go by. AND what sailboat doesn't need an extra pipe? Sorry but bored in VA.
Rainy Day Wittling.jpg
Rainy Day Wittling.jpg (124.18 KiB) Viewed 802 times
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Well, to much ice to sail but time well spent

Post by tjr818 »

That is some very fine whittling. Is that Briar? Time to break it in.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

tjr818 wrote:That is some very fine whittling. Is that Briar? Time to break it in.

Don't you love briar, if if weren't so blooming expensive it would probably have some use on a sailboat. Thank you
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

ghockaday wrote: . . . Don't you love briar, if if weren't so blooming expensive it would probably have some use on a sailboat. Thank you
Oh, it does have a use, the smoke from the pipe is the most enjoyable wind indicators for those days drifting around in light air. :wink:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

Beautiful work !

I just upgraded my winter sailing attire and two days ago had a nice sail on the York on a sunny brisk day in the 30's. Sailed with just reefed main and no jib. Could have used the jib to help punch through the 2-4 foot waves. The Typhoon is the first boat I have owned that does not pound in the chop. Just glides over nice and easy.

I read a good quote recently that was something like "There are no bad weather days. Just bad clothing days"
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

radsailor wrote:Beautiful work !

I just upgraded my winter sailing attire and two days ago had a nice sail on the York on a sunny brisk day in the 30's. Sailed with just reefed main and no jib. Could have used the jib to help punch through the 2-4 foot waves. The Typhoon is the first boat I have owned that does not pound in the chop. Just glides over nice and easy.

I read a good quote recently that was something like "There are no bad weather days. Just bad clothing days"
The correct warm weather clothes make a huge difference.
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

159A4F65-F2E1-4E60-81D7-3CB7DBA11FBD.jpeg
159A4F65-F2E1-4E60-81D7-3CB7DBA11FBD.jpeg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 746 times
lNew Mustang Rain Gear arrived today. Can’t wait to use it. Will probably go out tomorrow. Weather is fine, 70’s. I'm afraid to stay overnight because my Dad is in bad shape. At least he is back home. Tonight they were able to seat him at the dinner table. Tilapia breaded with macadamia crunch.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

JD-MDR wrote:
159A4F65-F2E1-4E60-81D7-3CB7DBA11FBD.jpeg
lNew Mustang Rain Gear arrived today. Can’t wait to use it. Will probably go out tomorrow. Weather is fine, 70’s. I'm afraid to stay overnight because my Dad is in bad shape. At least he is back home. Tonight they were able to seat him at the dinner table. Tilapia breaded with macadamia crunch.
Tha'art to keep you dry.
I'm just happy to see the Sun this morning, still 31
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

I am hoping to get out on the York today and tomorrow if it's not too windy today. Haven't checked the latest forecast, but really need to be "on site" as the forecast often is way off.

I recently read an article about "frostbite" sailors in New England who race their J24's every weekend in snow, sleet, etc. If they can do it, we can too. Our "frostbite" series here runs from October to November. Kind of a joke.
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

radsailor wrote:I am hoping to get out on the York today and tomorrow if it's not too windy today. Haven't checked the latest forecast, but really need to be "on site" as the forecast often is way off.

I recently read an article about "frostbite" sailors in New England who race their J24's every weekend in snow, sleet, etc. If they can do it, we can too. Our "frostbite" series here runs from October to November. Kind of a joke.
I thought you may go out today. We had another appointment. Tomorrow morning is suppose to be 18, I'm not as tuff as them yankees (no offense please) when it comes to cold.
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

My favorite part of sailing in cold stormy weather is pulling into a nice calm secluded cove ,dropping the anchor, firing up the heater and kicking back with a good book and a hot drink. I know, it doesn't get very cold here in So Cal. been getting some good winds lately though. Yesterday I was out for a few hours, 20-25 kts. I miss my wheel steering. The tiller is really a pain. I don't know why some people think the tiller is so great.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

JD-MDR wrote:My favorite part of sailing in cold stormy weather is pulling into a nice calm secluded cove ,dropping the anchor, firing up the heater and kicking back with a good book and a hot drink. I know, it doesn't get very cold here in So Cal. been getting some good winds lately though. Yesterday I was out for a few hours, 20-25 kts. I miss my wheel steering. The tiller is really a pain. I don't know why some people think the tiller is so great.
I’m going to sit back comfortably while the opposing opinions commence. :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Looking great, J.D. I'm hoping your dad pulls through. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

The Norwegians have a saying: “There is no such thing as bad weather; just bad clothing.”
Keith

Post by Keith »

A few years back a friend from Sweden was visiting in Jan and I think the temp was in the teens or single digits. We got to talking about sailing and he asked if I had been out sailing lately. I replied no the boat is on the hard for the winter. He replied why is the ocean frozen. I had no answer for him!

Those Scandinavian are a tough lot!!!!

PS The bay where I moor my boat now does freeze occasionally. Once this winter, in fact and three or four times in the last ten years but I have never seen Nantucket sound frozen. I did see parts of Buzzards bay frozen in the 80's. As the current moved the large ice flows toward and around the lighthouse at wings neck the ice piled up in huge hundred or thousand pound chucks in piles 20 to 30 feet high. It was an amazing sight. Wish I had taken a picture . Ahh the days before smart phones!

Keith