Leoma update 2/7/21

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JD-MDR

Leoma update 2/7/21

Post by JD-MDR »

I originally put this post on a reply to J.S. but I figured it should be by itself. I'm starting to wonder how and where I will donate my boat when I'm gone. I'm thinking about Explorer scouts in the marina areas or Boat USA. they seem to do a lot of good work. Please PM me any ideas. Thanks.
I took "Leoma' out today with the makeshift tiller and it went well. It seems like the windvane works much better without the steering gear. The problem with tiller steering is going in and out of the harbor. I have to stop to raise and lower the sails. Same with going to anchor. Auto pilot are so helpful. Haven't heard from Edson . I'm so mad at them. If they don't start on it soon I may tell them to send it back.
My Dad has been in ICU critical for about 7 days with Covid He might come home tomorrow in Hospice. My sister got really sick yesterday. I probably will get it next. I just want to get it over with. I guess this is why I'm thinking about donating the boat. Anyway here is a photo of my makeshift tiller
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
mgphl52

Re: Leoma update 2/7/21

Post by mgphl52 »

So sorry to hear about your family. Lots of positive thought and energy your way.
Some people say "life is short" but I truly believe it's the longest thing *any* of us can do!
Never stop, never give up, never look back, just keep living every bit you can!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Please don't ever say you just want to get it over with. We are so close to a path out of this mess.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Hi John. I sent you a separate email.

I’d want my boat to go to some young person or a young couple with dreams of sailing adventure. I think a lot of sailing programs just beat the boats up and they often don’t get cared for very well. There may be some good ones out there though. But I don’t know if any.

I don’t know what I would do with the FR if my kids don’t want her. Maybe load her up with all my tools and give me a viking funeral. Might need those tools with me in the next life.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

John Stone wrote:Hi John. I sent you a separate email.

I’d want my boat to go to some young person or a young couple with dreams of sailing adventure. I think a lot of sailing programs just beat the boats up and they often don’t get cared for very well. There may be some good ones out there though. But I don’t know if any.

I don’t know what I would do with the FR if my kids don’t want her. Maybe load her up with all my tools and give me a viking funeral. Might need those tools with me in the next life.
Yea I'm thinking alot about it. I'm afraid those organizations I mentioned will just sell it off to the highest bidder and use the money. Though they might be good charities. I agree with you I want my boat to go to someone who will use it and enjoy it and hopefuly refinish her "Far Reach" style.
One thought : People say you can't take it with you when you go. But I wouldn't be in heaven if my boat wasn't with me and I ain't going to the other place.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

John, needing your tools in the next life reminds me about the time a handyman got sent to hell by mistake. After a couple of weeks the mistake was discovered and God called down to the devil and said, that handyman got sent to you by mistake, I'm gonna need you to send him up here. And the devil says, no way! He fixed the escalator, he fixed the squeaky door hinges, he even got the air conditioning running. We're keeping him.

And God said, you give me no choice, I'm going to have to sue you.

and the devil laughed and said, where are you going to find a lawyer?

(apologies to any lawyers on the board)
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Hahahaha. Love it.