Max size 4 stroke outboard for CD 25 well?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Moby Dink

Max size 4 stroke outboard for CD 25 well?

Post by Moby Dink »

Hey all, I just joined and posting my first of likely many questions. I'm planning to buy a '77 CD 25, and wondering if anyone knows the maximum size 4 stroke outboard I can fit in the original engine well? I am berthed on the Yeocomico, and most of my sailing will be on the Potomac and nearby Chesapeake Bay. With my time constraints, I will inevitably be fighting tidal currents in order to get back home in time, and would like to have the largest motor possible. Thank you all!
mgphl52

Re: Max size 4 stroke outboard for CD 25 well?

Post by mgphl52 »

Actually a 6hp outboard is more than adequate for a CD25, if you get a high thrust prop.
Both of the CD25s I have owned came with 9.9 (2 stroke) outboards that were:
  • a) much more than I needed
    b) far to heavy to remove often
    c) way to tight in the well
For my last one, I replaced the 9.9 with 6hp 4-stroke that spent more time on the cabin sole than in the well!
It was only used when the wind died completely or I needed get some where quick.
I learned how to sail in & out of my marina slip and it was far more fun!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

I'm not sure what the largest one that fits is but a 4 stroke 6HP is plenty. You cannot go faster then hull speed and if you put a larger one in the weight will cause the boat will squat at the rear which isn't useful. This subject has been addressed a fair amount and you should be able to find long threads on it. The CD25 is a great boat, you will love it.
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
Moby Dink

Post by Moby Dink »

Thank you both for the replies! I bought her on Saturday, and she comes with a 6hp Merc. I know it's a sailboat, but I after towing another gentleman home in his Catalina last Saturday, I like having an engine for when the winds die down. I figured if I was going to buy a new motor, might as well get the largest I can fit, but the well seems mighty tight. After squeezing the 6 in and out of there for the first time, I have to agree that I don't need anything heavier or more cumbersome than that already is! Thank you for the help, surely I'll be asking you all for more in the near future. Hope to see you all out there one day!