New mail sail from Sail Care?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Walter Hobbs

New mail sail from Sail Care?

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Greetings,

I have shipped my main and genoa to Sail Care for cleaning and evaluation for repair. I have used them in the past and liked their service.

Spoke with their rep this AM and he says my main is heavily damaged from the sun and they cannot clean or repair it satisfactorily.

They can build a new sail for me with " better " cloth and improved head, clew and tack reinforcements for approx. $1900. Other specs the same, 2 reef points, batten pockets etc. CD logo and sail # included.

I had estimates from Doyle and North last season and price was about $ 2000 for the main, so price is competitive.

My questions for the group are, Would it be better to have a new sail from a well known maker like Doyle or North? Has anyone used Sail Care for a New sail?

I had new North sails for my previous boat, a Seasprite 23, and they were great. However customer service was marginal.

Another question is bolt rope or loose footed. I went with loose foot on the Seasprite and that was satisfactory.

I am not a racer, daysails and coastal cruising at most.

Thanks,
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
radsailor

Re: New mail sail from Sail Care?

Post by radsailor »

I would go with loose footed
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I’d go with Doyle in East Greenwich R.I.. My preference is to go with a local loft so any issues can be quickly and easily resolved. In fact, I’m dropping my sails off there Monday morning for annual inspection and maintenance.
My local loft, which made my current suit of sails, was closed and consolidated with the nearest Evolution loft. Doyle is now my closest loft.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
jfischgrund

Post by jfischgrund »

I would chat with Steve Thurston at Thurston Sails in Bristol, R.I. I just took mine in for cleaning and repair and they are very knowledgeable and will give you straightforward advice about your sails. I have a 150% genoa that they did not want to clean since it was falling apart, but are going to be able to cut it down (very reasonably) so that I can get at least another season out of it.
JOE
Keith

Post by Keith »

I'd go with local as well even if it costs a bit more. I got a new loose footed main this year from Squeteague Sail Makers in Bourne MA (Cape Cod) and I'm very happy with it. Mark and Julia are great to work with. I previously had the foot in the boom track and when you think about it having the foot in the track makes the foot flat. I.E not a good aerodynamic sail shape. The first sail when I saw the sail shape matching the yankee and stays'l it all made perfect sense.

Keith
Keith

Post by Keith »

PS: The cost of the main for my CD30 was $1996.81 in April this year.

Keith
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

I grew up in R.I. and Thurston Sails was operating more than 50 years ago. They must be doing something right.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

radsailor wrote:I grew up in R.I. and Thurston Sails was operating more than 50 years ago. They must be doing something right.
Thurston has evolved to survive. The sailmaking part of the business is Quantum Sails, the canvas part of the business is Thurston.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
jfischgrund

Post by jfischgrund »

I took my Sea Sprite 23 sails there 40 years ago and Steve Thurston was there then and he is still there now, personally inspecting sails. They may be under the Quantum umbrella, which I suppose has some advantages when it comes to sail design, but they still have that local business personal touch.
JOE
Bob Lascelles

Post by Bob Lascelles »

I can second Keith’s recommendation for Squeteague Sailmakers. Mark actually spoke one year at our meeting at Flanders and I was really impressed. Since then I’ve bought a working jib & a 135 from them for my 25D. Both sails were first class and competitively priced. When I wanted to raise the boom 6”to make room for a dodger, Mark recommended shortening the luff at the head. Made for a simple change with almost no effect on sail area
Bob Lascelles
CD25D Vindolanda #111
York, ME