About to purchase CD27 (my first sailboat)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

BrandonL

About to purchase CD27 (my first sailboat)

Post by BrandonL »

Hi all,
I'm about to make an offer on a CD27. I fell in love the moment I set eyes on her. I just received the "out of the water" survey results and wanted to get some experienced CD owners' take on a couple items...

1. Rudder - High moisture content with no delamination (sounded with hammer).

The boat hasn't been in the water this year, so this moisture must have been from the rainy week we just had? Can someone shed some light on how this may be possible and if this is typical of a 70s CD rudder. Is this something I should have major concerns about?

2. No zinc exists on the prop shaft and there doesn't appear to be any room to attach a zinc.

Please advise.

Everything else in the survey seems to be cosmetic and/or USCG safety equipment (expired flares) issues only.

I'm interested to get your take on these items and please feel free to expand on anything else you think I should focus on prior to making an offer. Thanks for your insights.

Brandon
Walter Hobbs

Re: About to purchase CD27 (my first sailboat)

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Greetings,

I own a 1977 CD 27 #35. Just finished my second season. You will find that no two CDs are exactly alike. The later 27s are a little more "refined" than the early ones. Nothing that effects performance but perhaps some creature comforts or more pleasing to the eye.

Later models have:
Folding dinette tables instead of table mounted on posts.
Shelves over forward end of starboard bunk.
Galley stove oriented fore and aft instead of athwartships.
Small drawer under galley sink.
Moulding around cabinet doors and along forward bulkhead edges.
Teak "eyebrows" on exterior cabin sides above portlights.

I have retrofitted some of these items to my liking. They may or may not make any difference to you. However in retrospect, I think I should have looked longer and more carefully when I bought my boat.

Don't misunderstand, I do enjoy this boat.

To answer your questions,
I don't think I have any water in my rudder but I really have not checked. I did have the many layers of old bottom paint soda blasted off last spring and found no rudder abnormalities.
There is room for a zinc on the shaft just forward of the prop. A special narrow doughnut zinc is required but they are available.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy a new boat soon.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
mathiasben

Post by mathiasben »

I was able to have my yard fit one of these to the prop on my 27 - https://www.boatzincs.com/propeller-nut ... nodes.html
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

I think moisture in the rudder is very common in all boats - not just Cape Dories. I drill a few holes in the bottom in the
fall to let some of it drain and then seal in the spring. I've also gouged out the interface between the rudder and the rudder post
with a dremel and laid in 5200. I don't think that's been completely successful stopping the ingress.
The problem hasn't been getting worse but it's always there. I don't worry about it. At some point it'll probably need
a major repair. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
BrandonL

Post by BrandonL »

Thank you all for your responses. After reading your responses and doing a bit more research, I plan to drill a couple holes in the bottom of the rudder before the hard freeze sets in. Hopefully this will allow for some drainage beforehand.

As for the zinc anode, I appreciate the link, mathiasben, and think it may be a better option than this...

https://www.boatzincs.com/micro-thin-collar-specs.html

Thoughts anyone?

@Walter - Thanks for the information on the differences between the older and newer CD27s. Mine is a 1977 as well, not sure of the hull number yet. The original stove has been taken out and there have been some upgrades. I will post more when I actually make the purchase.

Additional thoughts...

- I'm strongly considering adding shore power (120v - 30amp).

- In that case, I'm also considering adding refrigeration to the icebox.

- Lastly, I'd like to make new interior cushions. (sailrite.com)

If anyone has any advice on these items, I'd appreciate it. I have done a bit of research and would like CD specific insight if possible. The thing is, I plan to be at a slip next season and would really like to be able to take advantage of the shore power. Thanks again.

Brandon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

We made our own cushions following Sail Rite videos. Cheap electric knife is a must have, hot knife for cutting the fabric is a must have. We used their hardest foam, It may be a little to firm but better than too soft. Dennis
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Shore power is a must have for us, use the correct cords and components. Dennis
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
appletim1

Post by appletim1 »

BrandonL wrote:Thank you all for your responses. After reading your responses and doing a bit more research, I plan to drill a couple holes in the bottom of the rudder before the hard freeze sets in. Hopefully this will allow for some drainage beforehand.

As for the zinc anode, I appreciate the link, mathiasben, and think it may be a better option than this...

https://www.boatzincs.com/micro-thin-collar-specs.html

Thoughts anyone?

@Walter - Thanks for the information on the differences between the older and newer CD27s. Mine is a 1977 as well, not sure of the hull number yet. The original stove has been taken out and there have been some upgrades. I will post more when I actually make the purchase.

Additional thoughts...

- I'm strongly considering adding shore power (120v - 30amp).

- In that case, I'm also considering adding refrigeration to the icebox.

- Lastly, I'd like to make new interior cushions. (sailrite.com)

If anyone has any advice on these items, I'd appreciate it. I have done a bit of research and would like CD specific insight if possible. The thing is, I plan to be at a slip next season and would really like to be able to take advantage of the shore power. Thanks again.

Brandon
Congrats on your new boat! I have CD27 #151, built in 1979 and faced the same issue. I have used both and encourage you to use this zinc, a recommendation from Bob_S from this board.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sea-shie ... ecordNum=1

It fits better than any on the end of the prop shaft, as the clearance between the end of the prop and the leading edge of the rudder (aperture) is so very small.
Sleepwalker

Post by Sleepwalker »

Let's see some pictures when you get a chance!
BrandonL

Post by BrandonL »

Alright, here she is, JU JU, a 1977 Cape Dory 27, hull #58 located in Chicago, IL. I believe I'll be the 4th owner if all goes well with the sea trial, which will hopefully be this Saturday. Here are some pics...

fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Brandon,

You are getting a fine looking 27 there ... and not white !!! I had mine painted red a few years ago.

One piece of good advice about a new / old boat is - just get her ready to sail safely and then sail her for a season before committing to large projects. She'll let you know what she really needs soon enough. You'll spend boat dollars more wisely that way ... and lots of perusing this site will help you get oriented as well ...

You can probably hang a zinc off the backside of your prop if you have or obtain the right type of prop nut ...

https://www.boatzincs.com/prop_nuts.html

https://www.boatzincs.com/propeller-nut ... nodes.html

If you are going to add shore power, add an inverter/charger. I installed a Xantrex Freedom 1800 which gives you shore power direct A.C. when shore power is present and A.C from the inverter when off shore - but what it really does is provide a robust and fool proof charging facility to your batteries if you are frequently on a slip or docked.

I also added refrigeration to my boat. PM me if you'd like some pix and a description of that. Another active member here did the same thing. Jim Walsh. We used Isotherm seawater cooled units - highly recommended - compact - nearly silent

cheers

Fred
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

fmueller wrote: One piece of good advice about a new / old boat is - just get her ready to sail safely and then sail her for a season before committing to large projects. She'll let you know what she really needs soon enough. You'll spend boat dollars more wisely that way ... and lots of perusing this site will help you get oriented as well ...
Yes! This is great advice from Fred! Depending on your location and how much sailing you get to do a season, you may want to make only 1 or 2 "little" changes after the first season. Then sail yet another before committing to big ($$$$) changes.
Besides, some "add-ons" can be added on a temporary basis just to determine their worth.
As Fred sail, "She'll let you know...," and with a bit of time, you will "feel" what changes you and her want! :D
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
BrandonL

Post by BrandonL »

Great advice, Fred, thanks! I very much agree about the safety aspect and letting the rest sort itself out next season. With that said, I feel like I'll be practically living aboard her for several months in 2021, mostly at a slip in Montrose Harbor. That being the case, I think it's a safe bet that I'll want to take advantage of that shore power, and I'm not going to want to be buying bags of ice all summer. That's a large icebox too!

I will have quite a bit of free time, 24/7 access to the boat in the yard (20-30 minutes from apt), and local help from several mentors/friends. I'm hoping with shore power, fridge, and the cushion project, I'm not biting off more than I can chew though. I know the hull will need another coat of VC 17 in the spring plus some touch-ups on the wood, and I'll want to get that Raymarine wind system working again.

JuJu already has the marine A.C. inlet installed, a battery charger (not sure what it is yet, it's just mounted, not connected), and three working batteries in the starboard cockpit locker. The charger looks nothing like that cutting-edge Xantrex inverter/charger you have though.

The limited research I've done on the fridge has pointed me to Isotherm as well, although, I had been thinking the air-cooled will be enough for me. I'm interested in getting your take on that whole decision process.

I definitely have some research and learning to do between now and then. I'll be PMing you to get more details on your project.

For now the focus is on hopefully having a successful sea trial and delivery up north from where it currently sits. Then I've got to get her winterized and set up for comfy winter "camping" on the hard.

Thanks again Fred, and everyone, for your input. Cheers!

Brandon
Sleepwalker

Post by Sleepwalker »

Nice!!
appletim1

Post by appletim1 »

Sleepwalker wrote:Let's see some pictures when you get a chance!
Here you go.