Bilge Stench

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

D Dorle

Bilge Stench

Post by D Dorle »

We continue to have strong bilge stench on our Cape Dory 31. Cleaning the bilge and solvents don't seem to have any (permanent) effect.

I'm hoping that the problem is coming from a leak in the head hoses that run to the holding tank. That's the next thing we will have checked. Those hoses are likely as old as the boat itself (built 1984).

I understand from our marina guys that the holding tank on our boat is located under the engine, so if it's not a leaking hose that's causing the problem, it looks like we would have to pull the engine to make the repair.

Has anyone else had this problem? BTW: The problem only presented itself a few months ago.

Thanks,

David Dorle.
JD-MDR

Re: Bilge Stench

Post by JD-MDR »

I clean my bilge sparkling clean often. I also dont use the head. I still get a wiff of bad odor sometimes out of the galley drain
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

D Dorle wrote:I'm hoping that the problem is coming from a leak in the head hoses that run to the holding tank. That's the next thing we will have checked. Those hoses are likely as old as the boat itself (built 1984).
To figure out where it is coming from, try putting some red food coloring down the head and flush. See if red shows up in the bilge.

What about a shower drain? We had one boat where the shower drained into the bilge instead of its own enclosed sump, and the smell was foul.

You can try different colors of dye for different systems if you want to do it all at once.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Raven seems a little stinky when I first open her up these days. Rather than dyed water, I am considering taping the blower side of a small vacuum to the vent line and going over all the suspect areas of the sanitary system with a soapy water mixture. The inspection port in the top of the holding tank is always suspect. It would also be the easiest thing to repair.

When your marina guys say that the tank is under the engine they are generalizing and you would not have to remove the engine to get at anything that matters, Steve.
John Danicic

Post by John Danicic »

Dave:

The sanitary hoses may be in need of replacing. They get permeated and start to smell with age. The way to figure this out is to use a damp rag and wipe the hose that connect the head to the tank, the pump out hose and the vent hose.
If the rag has the odor, more than likely, the hoses are permeated and need replacing.

A good book to learn about heads and holding tanks in general is:
Image Lots of tips and explanations. Esoteric knowledge that makes for interesting and stimulating conversation at parties!
Sail on

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
Lake Superior- The Apostle Islands
CDSOA #655
Cape Dory Picture Posts
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

The holding tank has a vent and once I found that the line leading from the vent to the outside was clogged by a mini insect nest. Well cloggeg, I'd say. This kept sewer gas from escaping and allowed a little pressure build up in the tank and the hoses, impregating the hoses with a bad smell. I cleaned out the nest, and replaced the hoses and made checking the vent line a part of annual spring maint. No probs thereafter.

This is likely to be a simple but persistent problem with a fairly simple solution, it is finding the solution that is sooooo irritating.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

That 1/2" vent line is very easily clogged. If you overfill your holding tank just once that maybe enough to clog it up. I changed my vent and the hose that goes to it, to 3/4". I figure every bit helps. Two vents to get some air circulation may help as well. Sailing where direct discharge is legal and responsible is the best solution, Steve.
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Btw aerobic digestion in the HT doesn’t produce much smell. However, anaerobic (no air) digestion does. And a blocked vent line tends to. Lead to anerobic digestion. I know, I used to be a colleague of Ed Norton.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

No boat odors All bilge located tanks can be removed in 45 min and entire bilge washed from bow to stern. No holding tank so no orders. Will be interesting to see what orders we pick up with the inboard.

Seems like a holding tank would be problematic as well as a cabin sole that can’t be removed.
distand

Post by distand »

I went through that issue with my prior CD, which was the 31. I had the holding tank cleaned out with a chlorox solution and then when everything was dried out I put water into the holding tank and confirmed a leak at the bottom of the holding tank partition aft of the bilge. I included my thread below on how I fixed it. I think it could be possible to fix without cutting a larger bilge hatch, particularly if someone has long arms (or can make creative tools with extensions)!

Of course another option is to install an airhead or similar composting toilet. I did seriously research that but in the end decided that I would stay with the holding tank.

Anyway, I hope it's something simple. If it's not then I am hear to tell you that a good repair is possible with a bit of elbow grease.

Best of luck. Once you fix it it's all behind you

Feel free to reach out if you would like to discuss anything.

Don

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30899
Don
guy leslie

Post by guy leslie »

David,
If you haven't searched the archives, you may find some others that have experienced this with the 31. Having this model myself, I've been aware of the potential problem after reading about it. I know the former owner of my boat posted some solutions to try some time back. As of yet, I have not had the problem (knock on wood).
Good luck,
Guy