How strong is a Typhoon heel fitting?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

HullNo.6-Stephen

How strong is a Typhoon heel fitting?

Post by HullNo.6-Stephen »

During hauling out, due to the angle of the ramp, the bow starts tight to the trailer bow support while the boat is still in the water, and as the boat rotates back on the front of the keel easing out of the water, the boat ends up a couple inches farther aft on the trailer than it's supposed to be by the time she's at the top of the ramp.

On suggestion, we used a come-along to pull the boat forward on the carpeted trailer channel/support, wrapping the towing strap around that bronze heel fitting at the aft heel of the keel that the rudderpost sits in.

My assumption was that there's a lot of fiberglass down there, that the boat is 1900#, so whatever force we put on that would be quite a bit less than the weight of the boat. I have not run the calculations on the force required to overcome friction of the outdoor carpet. Tiller feels normal after pulling Wabi Sabi those two inches forward. No cracks anywhere. The only thing of note was that we hauled it on Friday, and pulled it forward on the trailer Sunday, and there was a small damp spot on one side of that heel fitting afterwards - maybe just squeezing a little moisture out of there?

The $60,000 question: Did I damage anything?
All opinions/admonishments welcome.
Thanks.
Dick Villamil

Re: How strong is a Typhoon heel fitting?

Post by Dick Villamil »

When I got my old beat-up Typhoon to restore the one area that had the most repair need was the heel. Evidently the fiberglass had absorbed water and through several freeze/thaw seasons the fiberglass and epoxy turned to "mush". Water had seeped into this possibly hollow area and weakened the fiberglass. After scooping out this stuff I filled it in with resin and pieces of woven roving to make it stronger. I decided that it was a relatively weak (and hollow) area that was strengthened by my work on it. Conclusion - I would not put excessive force on this area. What I do is to raise the winch and pulley system on the trailer to lift the bow up while the boat is still in the water or partially so. Then when it comes out I can relieve the tension on the strap and the bow settles into the bow roller on the trailer and the keel sits almost flat on the trailer for storage.
HullNo.6-Stephen

Re: How strong is a Typhoon heel fitting?

Post by HullNo.6-Stephen »

A clear explanation of why it's worth my time to make my bow roller height (or bow roller post) more easily adjustable. Thank you much, Mr. Villamil.