Stripping Cetol

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Jim Walsh

Stripping Cetol

Post by Jim Walsh »

I’ve been busy since the first week in September attending to Orion’s brightwork. It’s an onerous task (interspersed with day sails) but the end is near. After stripping with a heat gun and scrapers, the lightest possible sanding, plugging and bunging some old scars, it’s finally time to apply the finish of choice. For me it’s Cetol Light once again. All I need now are four decent application days and it’s time to do some sailing.
Attachments
69C8197F-7980-4FA4-A50B-AA5FFC4441AC.jpeg
69C8197F-7980-4FA4-A50B-AA5FFC4441AC.jpeg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 672 times
9A5F5D41-A898-4D46-8C80-98319FE81DD9.jpeg
9A5F5D41-A898-4D46-8C80-98319FE81DD9.jpeg (2.91 MiB) Viewed 672 times
40B10596-25E3-4C27-9603-7A8D05E2E715.jpeg
40B10596-25E3-4C27-9603-7A8D05E2E715.jpeg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 672 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Frenchy

Re: Stripping Cetol

Post by Frenchy »

Nice job, Jim. I see you have some "fine" equipment on hand and a fine go-with work ethic.
- Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Thats gonna look good when you're done. Teak looks so good but hurts so bad to make it look nice. Dennis
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Wow, what a lot of work, Jim! Nice results so far with minimal loss of the teak.

Have you ever tried StrypEeze? I've used it on varnish but never on Cetol.

Personally I'm a varnish guy, but when we bought our CD22 last year she was done with Cetol, and we kind of put sailing ahead of teak maintenance this year, so next spring we're probably going to have to go through what you're doing now.

Smooth sailing,

--Jim
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

wikakaru wrote:Wow, what a lot of work, Jim! Nice results so far with minimal loss of the teak.

Have you ever tried StrypEeze? I've used it on varnish but never on Cetol.

Personally I'm a varnish guy, but when we bought our CD22 last year she was done with Cetol, and we kind of put sailing ahead of teak maintenance this year, so next spring we're probably going to have to go through what you're doing now.

Smooth sailing,

--Jim
Thanks. I used Zip Strip years ago on a very detailed turn-of-the-century mantle. The great part was it got into every nook and cranny, the not so great part was that it was very messy and aggressive. The heat gun and scraper work fine without harming anything other than your immediate work surface.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Jim,
I think I'm due for cockpit coamings this year. It should have been last year but COVID shut the boatyard. I haul end of Oct. I think heat is the best. Good to see your progress.
Jeff
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

I have what may seem to sound like a question that might have an " intuitively obvious answer to the casual,observer", but erring on the side of caution here goes. Is it safe to apply heat to narrow strips of teak, like eyebrows and rub rails? My concern is overheating the surrounding fiberglass.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
John Stevenson

Post by John Stevenson »

For several years, I have used an adjustable temperature heat gun along with a set of nozzles. With the right nozzle and running the gun above 500 F, I had not had any problems in keeping the heat safely directed at the Cetol.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Cliff,
I generally mask with 3-4 layers of tape on the surrounding glass. I'll use 4 if I think the scraper might hit it hard, like in a challenging corner. I often use good tape first followed by regular masking tape the next layers. Seems to protect it fine. You're not really on any one spot very long once you've had a little practice. If you notice charring on the tape you're going too slowly.
Jeff
bgephart

Post by bgephart »

Cliff - I was inspired by Jim Walsh's note above to strip Cetol from my 1979 CD-25 using a scraper and heat gun - first time I have ever tried. It is going well, but I quickly learned not to let the heat gun blow for long on the narrow strips you mentioned - eyebrows and rub rails. I had my boat painted earlier this year with Perfection, and a couple of times early on with the heat gun I was too slow, and the paint bubbled up. I quickly caught it, and it seems to be OK, but I keep the heat gun moving now and no further problems.

Bob Gephart - Savannah, GA
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Thanks for the replies. I really like jbenagh's idea of multiple layers of masking tape. In addition, I'll be very cautious.

Last spring I repainted the boot stripe. There had been a strip of white tape separating boot stripe. It was old, cracked dirty and generally in appealing. I did use my heat gun sparingly to get that off.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

You can also hold a paint shield or wide sheet rock knife up against the edge to protect the glass. This is much faster than taping. The knife will get hot after a while so it might pay to have two of them and switch off.
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Thanks Steve, that's what I've done in the past but always worried I might still be getting fiberglass too hot. I'm going to try the masking tape approach with the eyebrows. That's such a narrow surface I'd worry about overheating.
Cliff

― André Gide