Hull stripe adhesive glue removal question

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

houseinthewoods

Hull stripe adhesive glue removal question

Post by houseinthewoods »

I removed the 3/4 " wide black stripe tape from the hull of my 1983 25D last week. Given how crooked it was I'm guessing that it wasn't original to the boat. My problem is the slightly raised glossy adhesive that bonded the stripe to the hull. So far I've tried Goo-B-Gone, alcohol, acetone, dawn detergent, WD-40 and the 3M eraser wheel with the 3M adhesive cleaner with no luck whatsoever - that stuff seems bulletproof ! Any ideas ??? Thanks !
wikakaru

Re: Hull stripe adhesive glue removal question

Post by wikakaru »

If 3M 08984 General Purpose Adhesive Remover doesn't do it for you, I don't know what chemical will.

You might try an old fashioned pencil eraser (the kind about the size of a couple sugar cubes) and see if the friction will make it gum up and rub off. Also try a heat gun and scraper.

--Jim
Steve Laume

Re: Hull stripe adhesive glue removal question

Post by Steve Laume »

I used to do a lot of laminate work. There was always contact cement to clean up and I found the best practice was to soften it up with acetone and then remove it with alcohol on a paper towel. If you just used acetone it would goo up and smear all over. Your other option would be to get out a buffer with some course compound and go at it.

the original cove stripe was always brown, Steve.