Ty Senior Torqeedo 1003CL

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

frosty

Ty Senior Torqeedo 1003CL

Post by frosty »

Time to repower my Ty Sr. As discussed in prior topics, new 4 Stroke Outboards have clearance issues in the well.
I went the electric route, and installed a Torqeedo 1003CL. Out of the boxfit the well, but the Torqeedo Tiller did not clear my Tiller. I bought the optional Torqeedo Remote throttle, and it fit perfectly.

I "motored" out of my mooring field to open waters. With some practice loops and maneuvers I used 20% of the battery at full throttle aprox 20 minutes into 2-4 knot wind, 1-2 ft waves, no current, at and indicated 4.5 to 5 knts on the Torqeedo display. More battery life tests to follow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by frosty on Jul 21st, '20, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
Typhoon Sr
Hull 33
S/V Sonnet
Steve Laume

Re: Ty Senior Torqeedo 1003CL

Post by Steve Laume »

That only gives you a couple of miles of range. That would be more than enough to motor out and get the sails up I would be a bit concerned about having the wind, completely die on me and being able to get back home before dark. I would think that your range would be greatly increased when not operating at full throttle. This seems like an excellent form of propulsion under the right circumstances
, Steve.
Dave Berquist

Post by Dave Berquist »

I didn't have any fitment issues with the tohatsu 6hp long shaft. (no internal tank and high torque prop) and it gets up to hull speed with less than half throttle. I looked at the torquedo but the price and range put me off. They are quiet though!
frosty

Post by frosty »

Typo above. Used 20%. 80% remaining. Will make partial throttle tests soon
Typhoon Sr
Hull 33
S/V Sonnet
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

That is excellent. You could motor around in peace and quiet all day long. With no smell or noise and it will always work.

I have an electric chin saw and a shearing machine for my Christmas trees. They both work very well. One thing I have noticed with the shearing machine is that when the battery gets low it does not taper off and run slower. It just stops! that was not the case with the old gel cell battery I used to use. It is something to be aware of with lithium batteries as I believe this is how they all work.

Battery technology has opened up new worlds of possibilities. Steve.