Venting

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Philip Tanner

Venting

Post by Philip Tanner »

Last fall I had my Marina unstep my mast for new antennae, new anchor light, topping lift, etc. The Marina caught a line under the forward hatch and when they lifted the mast out they took the forward hatch with it. No problem the General Manager said. We'll take care of everything. Fast forward to spring, no new hatch. So, the general manager asks when I'll be ready to launch. I reply two weeks. He says no problem. I'll have it completed by the time you're ready to launch. Three weeks later I go to the Marina office to do battle with the General Manager. I'm told he is no longer with the Marina. No problem the new Manager says. I'll have it measured and order a new one. Should be here in a couple of days. One week later I'm told they can't find a replacement hatch that meets the measurements on my Cape Dory 28. But don't worry, we're still looking. I say I'll put on a temporary cover and they should step my mast and put me in the water ASAP waiting for the new one. Well, Mr. Tanner, I'm sorry but we no longer have a crane to step your mast. But don't worry we plan on sub contracting for a crane since we have several masts to step. So, frustration is building rapidly. I'm just venting. But, I do have some questions for the CDSOA. First, has anyone else had problems finding a replacement for the forward hatch. My boat is a 1980 and the hatch was probably original. The Marina tells me they went on Bomar's web site and can't find a replacement that fits the measurements. Any suggestions? Secondly, how would you deal with this Marina? I don't want to be a jerk. But, I'm loosing my patience and want to get in. By the way. they are a big time multiple location Marina. Its a SAFE bet they're in a HARBOR near you.
fmueller

Re: Venting

Post by fmueller »

With serious business malpractice complaints call your state Atty General office. They will get you started in the correct direction. Also, you can often get inexpensive effective legal aid at law schools.

I had my CD 27 Bowmar hatch rebuilt, but we did find a modern Lewmar that would have fit reasonably. We stripped and repainted the old hatch with two part epoxy and sourced new seals. The original dogs and struts were ok. The reason to consider rebuilding is that the old Bowmars are cast aluminum, and actually pretty high quality. NA in your case unfortunately.

Sorry I can't remember that specific model Lewmar - nor do I know if 27 vs 28 hatches are the same dimension.

maybe this ?? https://www.lewmar.com/node/11303?v=24464
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Very sad news Phil. We always expect service providers to act in a professional manner and have some integrity. Both those attributes are lacking with your marina management.
Our hatches were known as the “Ocean Series” and the latest Bomar iteration of that product is here http://pompanettellc.com/current-catalo ... ast-hatch/. They are available in many sizes (custom sizes are available) so they may have a direct replacement which fits your hatch opening. It may become necessary for a replacement to be painted to match your present hatch. Good luck.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
jfischgrund

Post by jfischgrund »

Now I know why I haven't seen you this summer. Hope you will be able to get in soon. I'm surprised Bomar can't come up with something that will fit.
JOE
Pembquist

Post by Pembquist »

I put a larger Lewmar hatch forward on my 1977 CD28. The moulding in the ceiling was the same as the large hatch above the main cabin so I cut it larger with a router. I still have the old Bomar hatch if you want it I don't know what a fair price is as the acrylic is hazed and it could use paint, I can measure etc. it if you like. The new hatch is much more convenient as I can open it from the outside and since it is as bit as the main hatch it provides egress so I would recommend upgrading if your ceiling looks like mine. (The reason I did mine was the gel-coat was badly cracked around the old hatch and enlarging the opening cut way the damaged part.)
Pembquist

Post by Pembquist »

Here are some pictures:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MHBsailor

Post by MHBsailor »

Depending on your state, some have better consumer protection statutes than others. This info is usually readily available on your state's Attorney General's website. For example, my State's CP statute provides for triple damages for "unfair and deceptive trade practices." Often simply notifying the business orally that you are aware of your consumer rights by citing the applicable statute will be the "kick in the pants" to motivate them to resolve your complaint quickly and informally. If that doesn't work, I've had luck sending a letter (return receipt requested for proof of delivery) citing the statute along with my demand. Small Claims Courts are often pro-consumer, and don't typically require representation by an attorney (who are usually reluctant to take on a case with small damages without a retainer that would be more than the case is worth in terms of recoverable damages). However, it may be worth paying an attorney for a half-hour of their time to write a "demand letter" to the marina (they may pay more attention when the letter comes from an attorney). Sounds like it's time to consider another marina for next season. I'm lucky that I'm still at one of the last "old time" New England marinas but the chain marinas are salivating for the day when the owner has to sell but for now he's still hanging in there.
MHB Sailor