Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

djwaudio

Typhoon

Post by djwaudio »

Hi All, I'm looking at a Typhoon for sale. It has [allegedly from factory] teak decks. Any comments? Pro/Con? Downsizing from my CDMKII 30.
Alan Stewart

Re: Typhoon w/teak deck...

Post by Alan Stewart »

I know of, and have seen pictures of, two Typhoons that had teak decks (3/4” planking), installed by an independent shipwright in Miami. He did a beautiful job on them and the results were gorgeous! I’m not aware of Cape Dory ever building Typhoons from the factory with teak decks however.
djwaudio

Re: Typhoon

Post by djwaudio »

I have since bought the boat. Solid teak decks, from the builder in 1975. Glued, not screwed and in perfect shape. If I could figure out how to post a photo I would.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I think the teak decking is a modification done by a previous owner. The builders specifications and brochures boast about the all bronze deck hardware. That is not present in your photograph which may well be a hint it did not leave the factory that way. It certainly looks quite distinctive. Congratulations on your purchase.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
djwaudio

Post by djwaudio »

Good point. I took the sellers word for it but maybe.........

Regardless. It looks to be well done. Thanks.