A Pleasant Distraction During Coronavirus

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

A Pleasant Distraction During Coronavirus

Post by John Stone »

Hello my fellow Cape Dorians

I trust everyone is well. Crazy times.

One of my CD forum friends sent me a link to Off Center Harbor maybe 7-8 years ago. I thought it was fantastic. It requires a subscription. I ended up joining as a life member. It’s a website hosting a collection of videos mostly made by their own small team. These folks are all contributors to WoodenBoat though I don’t know if there is a connection. Nonetheless, OCH profiles all kinds of very interesting mostly wood boats and dinghies. Sail and power. Old trawlers, skiffs, schooners, yawls, you name it. Lots of interviews with sailors and boat builders doing all kinds of fascinating things all over the world. Videos on a wide range of traditional and modern boat building and boat maintenance skills. A few fiberglass boats too. Just great stuff.

They are offering a $5 for 10 week special during the present time since so many people have their movement restricted. Here is the link if interested. Over the years I have seen a bunch of these videos. I’ve learned a few things, been inspired...never disappointed.

If inclined to try it out I think you will enjoy it.

https://www.offcenterharbor.com/join-pa ... f-upgrade/

If you want to see a sample here is a link to a free viewing of a boat they featured a while back.

https://www.offcenterharbor.com/videos/ ... rt-marine/

Good luck to everyone. Be safe.

John Stone
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: A Pleasant Distraction During Coronavirus

Post by tjr818 »

I second that. I have been a member since they started. Often they tempt me to back to a wooden boat, but sadly, wooden boats just do not last in fresh water.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi John and all,

This is a fantastic site. I just started viewing the 10 free videos and will most definitely sign up.

Thanks again John,

Keith
Jim Cornwell

Post by Jim Cornwell »

Another vote for Off Center Harbor! Though Yankee's a plastic boat, I often think she has the soul of a traditional wooden craft, without many of the headaches -- particularly when I'm working on her teak. OCH articulates many of the values I think most Cape Dorians hold dear and that's what counts! Also inspiring are two series of YouTube videos: "Acorn to Arabella" and Sampson Boat Company's "Tally Ho" rebuild. Talented and enthusiastic boatbuilders obsessed with their sailboats. All great to have for those of us effectively shut in these days!
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

John,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen OCH before but never really looked hard. The price is too good to pass up. I just happen to have a little extra time on my hands at the moment. :D

Thanks!
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Well, since I have spent quite a few hours binging on YouTube videos of various people sailing, no reason not to pursue another one!

I did find one that intrigued me on YouTube, especially since I have a CD 27. There's a thread about a guy with and Alvin Vega 27. He's doing what I've dreamt of. However, he's somewhere near 40 or more years younger than I am! It's under the Sailing Adventure of Tarka.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

And a shameless plug for the video from 10 years ago with my son Andrew in a major role:

https://www.offcenterharbor.com/videos/ ... at-school/
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Me too John

Highly recommended.
They should feature Far Reach.

Bend the curve.

Fred
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Me too John

Highly recommended.
They should feature Far Reach.

Bend the curve.

Fred
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Mbigos

Post by Mbigos »

I couldn't agree more about OCH, and have been sending the special $5 rate link around. I'm a subscriber too. The subscription pays for itself for skill-building, but of course the entertainment factor is worth it anyway.

I have a house in Center Harbor and know these folks. These are the best, nicest people too. The kind you'd want as crew. OCH is a small business, and they have figured-out how to produce a unique, valuable, artistic, and very informational product. One of their faces is Maynard Bray, who writes a lot for Wooden Boat, and writes all of the captions for the lovely Wooden Boat Calendar.

You certainly need not be a wooden boat owner to feel welcome. I would say OCH's audience is those who appreciate the simple truths of sailing; purpose-driven elegant, efficient boat design; naval architects like Nathaniel Herreshoff; and understanding basic mechanical, navigation, and seamanship skills. They however will teach you varnishing skills, diesel repair, epoxying, and much more. They will bring you to Eggemoggin Reach, New Zealand, Tasmania, Port Townsend, Newport, and beyond. They tell swashbuckling stories (look up Gubby for my favorite). They will even review what kind of dinghy may suit your needs best.