Boat still on the hard!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mike Davis

Boat still on the hard!

Post by Mike Davis »

Dear Fellow CDers,
I hope all is going well with you. I, as well as many of you are in the midst of this dreadful period. It makes me want to be on the water, away from crowds and probably in a more safe environment. I wish all of you well.
Mike Davis
fmueller

Re: Boat still on the hard!

Post by fmueller »

same thoughts

doing our part means curtailing socializing ... the math and stats are stark

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... e=Homepage

if you become infected, before you show symptoms (and presumably isolate) you will likely infect 2.1 other persons in about a week - round to 2 - do the math - and in about 30-45 days (absent much more stringent restrictions) your single infection will swell to about 120 other individuals. At 2-3% mortality, thats 2-4 deaths. All maths are approximate here. But the call for responsibility is clear.

So if not for yourselves - then for your neighbors - lay low - which means avoid unnecessary gatherings of any kind; bars, restaurants, in person meetings, theater, sporting events, unnecessary shopping, busses, planes, trains, even just visits among friends unfortunately ... pretty draconian, there will be a severe and unavoidable economic hit ...

Or happy thought - go sailing!!! pretty low risk - wipe down your boat and wash hands frequently, just out an abundance of caution - (just to clean it up anyway ?) - 1/2 cup of bleach in 1 gal of water and a squirt of soap will go a long way - don't rinse, the standing solution (film) kills the little buggers to about 99% in 5 minutes - about drying time. Don't crowd your boat with crew - just a few, maybe one or two?, if necessary.

ventilation is a known depressor of droplet borne inoculation - I'm pretty sure my cockpit is ventilated - sunlight (UV) kills microbes on surfaces :D

cheers (really). Fred
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I'm not biting on this topic, but I will be taking my cover off this weekend!
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

The cover is off LIQUIDITY. The boatyard is a safe, quiet place to work.

We'll see where this season takes us. Right now, the plan is to get the hull waxed, the bottom done, the seacocks serviced, and get in the water.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

You'd think with all the VOCs in the marine products we use on our boats we'd have some sort of barrier coat to pathogens like COVID-19.

Stay safe and healthy out there,
Paul
CDSOA Member
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I removed Orion’s cover Sunday. It snowed last night but that was to be expected the moment the cover was off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

Gabbiano id 3 hours away and I'm stuck in WV.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Finally got KAYLA out of her slip yesterday. Had a really nice sail with easy winds and lots of sun.
Would include a picture, but there was a shortage clothing involved...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
abcnuzeman
Brooklyn, NY

Post by abcnuzeman »

I'm in New York and supposed to stay home...worked on the boat yesterday, but still need to do a lot of work before launch. It feels a little selfish to leave home to work on the boat, but I can't quite come to terms with the idea of no sailing season this year. Somebody tell me it's alright to single hand Jamaica Bay this summer.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

abcnuzeman wrote:I'm in New York and supposed to stay home...worked on the boat yesterday, but still need to do a lot of work before launch. It feels a little selfish to leave home to work on the boat, but I can't quite come to terms with the idea of no sailing season this year. Somebody tell me it's alright to single hand Jamaica Bay this summer.
Why is the boat not "home"?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

abcnuzeman wrote:I'm in New York and supposed to stay home...worked on the boat yesterday, but still need to do a lot of work before launch. It feels a little selfish to leave home to work on the boat, but I can't quite come to terms with the idea of no sailing season this year. Somebody tell me it's alright to single hand Jamaica Bay this summer.
Single Handed Sailing = Self Distancing at its finest. Go for it.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

perfect Tim ...
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Mike Davis

Post by Mike Davis »

I keep my boat at Gateway Marina in Deadhorse Bay Brooklyn, NY. My mast was unstepped. There is an order in NY not to go outside. I'm somewhat holed up in apartment. Jamaica Bay is an easy sail. When you go under the Gil Hodges Bridge going east you must stay in the channels, because there are many shallow spots.
I doubt I'll put the boat in the water this year due to the virus. I paid 50% of the summer fees, which are expensive. There is a lot of projects that I wanted to do, but now, it's all about staying safe. All of us have to use caution.
abcnuzeman
Brooklyn, NY

Post by abcnuzeman »

This was last summer...I only draw 3 1/2 ft. so I can usually tack back and forth without a problem...I'm at Danny's in Mill Basin. They are still open as they service police boats so considered essential. Don't know if they'll launch pleasure boats this spring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Cornwell

Post by Jim Cornwell »

Yankee's also still on the hard with her snug winter cover zipped up tight. As the implications of the pandemic become clear, with any near-term improvements less and less likely, I'm reluctantly considering skipping the 2020 sailing season altogether. Not a happy thought. Though day sailing and cruising are to some extent solitary pursuits, they're not entirely so and not without random contact with other folks: marina staff, fueling and pump/out attendants among them. Marine police? Tow boat skippers? Salvage divers? Not to mention crew! "Social distancing" is the only truly effective thing we can do to stop the spread of the virus -- and, much as I'd like to pretend otherwise, that means staying home. Maybe it will be the summer to perform solo, dry-land boat projects without any pressure to meet the launch date. New transom graphics? Replace those teak eyebrows? So many deferred projects! Stay healthy, everyone!