Typhoon genoa tracks - length and location?

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

HullNo.6-Stephen

Typhoon genoa tracks - length and location?

Post by HullNo.6-Stephen »

Happy nearly-spring, Typhooners!

I want to get a head start on pre-launch projects, and the one I need the most help with is the genny tracks.

Wabi Sabi is Hull No. 6, partially restored by a non-sailor, and the original 2' long s.s. genny tracks are set with the forward end about 12" aft of the winch. During my first and abbreviated season sailing her with a shiny new 130%, the tracks are obviously too far back. My intent is to get the 3/4" Schaefer track, as it seems other folks have used this with success.

If I set a new piece of 4' track with the aft end in the same place as the aft end of the existing track, the forward end of the new 4' piece would land right about at the main bulkhead, well aft of the chain plates (I would rather have tracks that extend too far back than to have to fill holes in the toerail and deck). Wabi Sabi is solid, but not a showpiece, so a little experimentation isn't a problem for me.

Question 1: Get 6' pieces of new track and have the forward end up near the chainplates, or 4' pieces?

Question 2: Do I need to through-bolt every 3" (Wabi Sabi doesn't have a liner, so that's helpful), or are wood screws installed properly sufficient? If I use screws, I'll might even tap them, and at least a little thinned epoxy in there to strengthen the wood, that kind of thing.

thanks much,
Ben Miller

Re: Typhoon genoa tracks - length and location?

Post by Ben Miller »

My guess is that a 4' track would work out fine, although this probably depends quite a bit on the cut of your sail. I've got the original 2' tracks in (I assume) pretty much the original location, with the front end a little bit back of the winches, like you say. My genoa is also a 130, and the best place for my cars seems to be right up near the front of the track. For, me another two feet of track would put the car right in the middle. Two more feet wouldn't be of much use.

As for Question 2, I'd be more comfortable with bolts. If you went with screws I would think you'd want them to pass through the toe rail and penetrate the deck, at which point you might as well use a bolt. I for sure would not rely on screws that were anchored only in the toe rail. But I'm not an engineer.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I just measured an older Typhoon with 2' tracks. They start 6" behind the winches or 2' behind the cabin bulkhead. This is an original set up.

Definitely bed and bolt the tracks. The last thing you want to be worrying about is whether they are strong enough, Steve.
HullNo.6-Stephen

Post by HullNo.6-Stephen »

Ben and Steve, thank you!

Length: 4' it is.

Fastening: I am an engineer, but I also have feelings, and I'll feel a lot better if the track is through-bolted. And it's only holes for another 2' of track each side.

Wabi Sabi and I are grateful for your time and input.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

Here's a project log from Tim Lackey with a few photos of another Typhoon track-lengthening process. No details, but the pictures might help you out.

https://lackeysailing.com/archived/tyta ... /40714.htm