Espar Heater for CD 28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Pembquist

Espar Heater for CD 28

Post by Pembquist »

I am thinking seriously about getting an airtronic heater for my CD 28 as a concession to my old bones in the PNW. I wanted to know if anyone has done the same or similar (Webasto,) and has any advice on size/what has worked for you. D2 D4 D5. Anyone have a recommended vendor?

It hurts my brain to see how cheap the Chinese knockoffs are but I cannot see how they cannot pose a risk of being faildangerous instead of failsafe.
bottomscraper

Re: Espar Heater for CD 28

Post by bottomscraper »

We have a D4 on our CD36. It replaced the original Espar that died after 25 years. I suspect the D4 might be a bit big for a 28. I ordered it from Ocean Options. I have nothing but good things to say about them and Ed Hamilton who was the sales engineer that helped me. They are in RI so they may not be the best choice for you. https://www.oceanoptions.com/

I have considered a Chinese knockoff for the tractor I use for snow removal but I don't think I would for someplace I sleep.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
BernieA

Post by BernieA »

I just installed a Wallas Nordic DT stove/heater on my CD28, replacing an Origo 6000 alcohol stove.
I didn't like the alcohol stove for a number of reasons, and my crew/wife is afraid of propane on the boat. The Wallas is diesel and has an enclosed burner that exhausts to the outside. When not cooking, it acts as a cabin heater with thermostatic control. I've only test run it so far, but it looks like it will keep us warm during the Pacific Northwest nights.
Wallas2.jpg
Wallas1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

BernieA wrote:I just installed a Wallas Nordic DT stove/heater on my CD28, replacing an Origo 6000 alcohol stove.
I didn't like the alcohol stove for a number of reasons, and my crew/wife is afraid of propane on the boat. The Wallas is diesel and has an enclosed burner that exhausts to the outside. When not cooking, it acts as a cabin heater with thermostatic control. I've only test run it so far, but it looks like it will keep us warm during the Pacific Northwest nights.]
I’d never seen one before so I just checked it out. Nice solution for specific requirements. Here’s a spec sheet.

https://www.scanmarineusa.com/wp-conten ... 2019s2.pdf
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

I put a Webasto 2000 in my CD 27. It's on a shelf in the starboard locker. Just one 4" flex hose runs to a round dashboard style vent under the starboard settee.
Works great (5000 btu) but would have to be bigger for true winter weather, but it will raise the cabin from 40 to 65 easily. It's only the size of a shoe box ... Bernie - I didn't know about that Wallis stove or I might've thunk about that instead ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
BernieA

Post by BernieA »

We bought the Wallas stove/heater because I didn't like the alcohol stove and my crew/wife is scared of propane in the galley, even though she cooks on propane at home. It was pretty expensive at about 3k, but it seems like a good option. Time will tell. I'm almost finished with the cabinet work and will post a picture when complete.