Tiara's 2019 Bermuda Adventure Video

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

John Ring

Tiara's 2019 Bermuda Adventure Video

Post by John Ring »

I finally got around to cobbling together the sailing footage from last summer's Marion-Bermuda race. It was a rough & wild trip, right from the start in Buzzards Bay. It was short sails and foul weather gear nearly the whole 635nm to Bermuda. At one point you may notice my yellow MOM module is missing from the stern rail - we took a huge wave in the night that knocked the helmsman down, filled the cockpit with water, and swept the MOM module into the Gulf Stream. It promptly self-inflated, fired up its strobe light, and disappeared into the darkness. I'm guessing it's washed up on the west coast of Ireland by now. We still managed to finish in the top half of the fleet, coming in 15th in a fleet of 38 boats that finished. We did manage to get a little footage along the way, but not much. The trip back to Boston was much calmer but we encountered lots of north wind along the way, making the return trip a full seven day adventure. The huge schools of dolphin east of Nantucket kept us entertained, and the giant humpbacks breaching (whole body) at sunset off Race Point was an amazing sight to behold, but we didn't catch any breaches on film.

Here's a link to the new video: https://youtu.be/l4bnJQFbxoA

I put this video together using a free open source video editor called KdenLive, my new go-to video editing software. Give it a shot if you're interested in making videos. There are lots of Kdenlive tutorials on YouTube to get you started, really great stuff.

Best,
John Ring
CD36 TIARA
tnail small.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Re: Tiara's 2019 Bermuda Adventure Video

Post by moctrams »

Nice sails. Surprised you don't have wind steering.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

That’s so cool John. Thanks for posting, and thanks again for inviting me to the awards ceremony. That was an event I’ll never forget, having read about the Bermuda races since I was a child.....never actually thought I’d ever attend the awards ceremony.
The largest schools of dolphins I’ve ever seen were east of Nantucket and south of the George’s bank. I saw hundreds....along with pilot whales and four basking sharks. The amount of sea life was stunning to behold.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

Jim Walsh wrote:That’s so cool John. Thanks for posting, and thanks again for inviting me to the awards ceremony. That was an event I’ll never forget, having read about the Bermuda races since I was a child.....never actually thought I’d ever attend the awards ceremony...
The awards & dinner are lots of fun - I'm glad you could join us!

John
RHADC 2019.png
Dinner.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

Thanks for sharing!!
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
Keith

Post by Keith »

thanks for sharing the videos

Kudos to the captain and zip tie engineer!!! :wink:

Keith
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

John
Very nice video. You’ve done some great ocean sailing and seem to have a tight crew. BZ!

Thanks for sharing.
Bob Lascelles

Post by Bob Lascelles »

John the video was great, thanks for sharing. The pictures of the dolphins on the return trip were outstanding!

All the best
Bob
Bob Lascelles
CD25D Vindolanda #111
York, ME
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Nice!
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay