Cockpit headroom under boom

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Johnpyoung

Cockpit headroom under boom

Post by Johnpyoung »

Looking for information that will help me decide on a vessel suitable for my needs. I am looking at CD 28 and 30 as a liveaboard i like the minimalist aspect of a smaller vessel but need to be comfortable at the same time. I would like to be able to stand under the boom safely while underway. Im 5’10”, i really like the CD27 but it has no headroom in the cockpit so looking at larger vessels. Thanks in advance
mgphl52

Re: Cockpit headroom under boom

Post by mgphl52 »

Johnpyoung wrote:I would like to be able to stand under the boom safely while underway. Im 5’10”
You won't be able to stand under the boom on a CD28 unless you raise the gooseneck.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Johnpyoung

Post by Johnpyoung »

Thanks, do you know about the CD30
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Johnpyoung wrote:Looking for information that will help me decide on a vessel suitable for my needs. I am looking at CD 28 and 30 as a liveaboard i like the minimalist aspect of a smaller vessel but need to be comfortable at the same time. I would like to be able to stand under the boom safely while underway. Im 5’10”, i really like the CD27 but it has no headroom in the cockpit so looking at larger vessels. Thanks in advance
On our 27 we had the mainsail cut to raise the clew 10", that gave us all of the head room we needed. By just raising the clew we were able to keep the gooseneck in its original position and we only lost 4 1/2 sqft of sail area. How tall are you, a six footer had no problem with this arrangement. We also installed a Garhauer rigid boom vang, that keeps the boom from accidentally dropping on the First Mates head (anymore :oops: ).
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Johnpyoung

Post by Johnpyoung »

Im 5’10” i would prefer a CD 27 but had about given up due to head room.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Johnpyoung wrote:Im 5’10” i would prefer a CD 27 but had about given up due to head room.
The 27 is the best of the fleet. Raise the clew and have fun.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Joe Mac Phee

Post by Joe Mac Phee »

The Cape Dory 30 comes in two models, a cutter and a ketch. I do not have the measurement handy, but I am 5ft 9in and have plenty of room under the mizzen boom on my 30 ketch. The main boom ends at the companionway.

Joe Mac Phee
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I have a CD30. I'm 5'10". The boom clears my head almost all of the time without ducking. The height works well when at anchor. When tacking, I still duck, but just on principle since the boom is waay to close to my head.
Jeff
Rockinar

Post by Rockinar »

Im 5'11" on a 28. Would would hit my head. Also keep in mind you will have bimini issues also because the traveler in in the transom. So you lose even more space with a bimini. Would not want to live on a 28.
Keith

Post by Keith »

5' 10" here and the boom on the 30C will most definitely hit my head when coming across if I'm in front of the wheel. Standing behind the wheel is OK just don't lean forward.

Keith
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

6' 0" here and a CD 27 owner for 3 seasons. I just don't understand the issue here. To each there own of course, but I raise the boom as high as the topping lift allows, and use the traveler to move it over to a corner while motoring or at the slip and nobody as bonked their head yet. My crew ranges for 5'5" to 6'2" and nobody has commented on it.

Under sail, I'm almost always sitting, but even then, a slight crouch as the boom comes through the cockpit and we're done.

The 27 is a sweet sailing boat that can be had at a reasonable price. Larger boats mean larger slips, larger insurance payments, larger everything. If the 27 fits the mission intended, this should be on roughly page 5 of things that worry me about the boat.
Johnpyoung

Post by Johnpyoung »

I intend to liveaboard and im single handing with a disabilty from a stroke. So now what was on page 5 seems to be paragraph 1 page 1. I understand these are minor issues to most but unfortunately im not most people.
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

the 30 mkii has plenty of clearance .. you can even have solar panels over the bimini.
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Jerezana is a 27 and I like her for what she is good at ... sturdy, safe (handles wind), sails nicely (surprising), and easy to single hand* around Narragansett Bay and the New England seacoast - and just generally has a soulful nautical quality that many inexpensive plastic boats lack. Great cockpit for two, fun for three, tolerable for 4, but not more.

In the OEM cockpit (original gooseneck, level boom) there is about 5'10" headroom, but as others have mentioned, easily remedied by recutting; lifting the clew a few inches. If I ever replace my main I'll do just that.

Much easier to keep in good shape than even a modestly larger boat (there is a geometric progression in time for task as boat size increases).

I would never want to live aboard though. Just too small for that. Ok for a week, maybe two (i've not gone that long) - but as a primary residence ... no way. There's no shower - kettle and sponge bath baby ! The head is open to the v berth. No hot water. Cockpit lockers are big for a 27 footer ... but below deck storage is pretty skimpy. There's only 5'10 headroom or less except in the companionway.

The 28 is really a larger boat internally, and the 25D with the pilot berth and head where the v berth usually is is functionally larger I think.

* IMHO single handing safely (and pleasurably) is much more a question of skill set than raw boat size, aside from a few configuration needs, most notably, some kind of self steering. Single handing across oceans is famously possible in sub 30 ft boats, but I'd personally want a lager craft. I've got a buddy who has a Pacific Seacraft 34'. Blue water all the way. Phenomenally well built. Scads of storage space.

cheers

Fred
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

tjr818 wrote:
Johnpyoung wrote:Looking for information that will help me decide on a vessel suitable for my needs. I am looking at CD 28 and 30 as a liveaboard i like the minimalist aspect of a smaller vessel but need to be comfortable at the same time. I would like to be able to stand under the boom safely while underway. Im 5’10”, i really like the CD27 but it has no headroom in the cockpit so looking at larger vessels. Thanks in advance
On our 27 we had the mainsail cut to raise the clew 10", that gave us all of the head room we needed. By just raising the clew we were able to keep the gooseneck in its original position and we only lost 4 1/2 sqft of sail area. How tall are you, a six footer had no problem with this arrangement. We also installed a Garhauer rigid boom vang, that keeps the boom from accidentally dropping on the First Mates head (anymore :oops: ).
I'm 5'10 (maybe less as I age :oops: ) and I had talked to a sailmaker about the wisdom of cutting off some of the foot of the sail. He indicated that it would be feasible and really wouldn't impact performance that much. I haven't done it yet but it is one of the things I'm planning.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide