Buck Algonquin Bronze Ball Valve Seacocks

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

MHBsailor

Buck Algonquin Bronze Ball Valve Seacocks

Post by MHBsailor »

I went to check on my Typhoon Senior at the marina today since the temp was an uncharacteristic 55F for mid-Jan here in Southeastern MA, and when I looked closely at the seacocks discovered that they were Buck Algonquin bronze ball valve seacocks made in China. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they were selected because they were less expensive than quality domestic alternatives such as Spartan. Does anyone have direct, first-hand experience with these seacocks? Are they any good (i.e., will they last)? As a critical piece of equipment that could cause a boat to sink if it failed, I wouldn't hesitate to spend money to replace them with a more reliable seacock if the group consensus is that there are better alternatives out there. Thanks! JD
Attachments
IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_1001.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 501 times
IMG_4419.JPG
IMG_4419.JPG (471.13 KiB) Viewed 501 times
IMG_4421.JPG
IMG_4421.JPG (557.01 KiB) Viewed 501 times
Last edited by MHBsailor on Jan 12th, '20, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
MHB Sailor
Jim Walsh

Re: Buck Algonquin Bronze Ball Valve Seacocks

Post by Jim Walsh »

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... 72#p207872

As noted in the attachment I had identified the brand. I have no experience with that particular brand of ball valves, but Buck Algonquin does not market poor quality products. I would have no issue with then on an overnighter but I would want them properly installed.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Keith

Post by Keith »

To Jims point of being properly installed. I notice that they are not bolted thru the hull. You might want to remedy that situation.

Keith
MHBsailor

Post by MHBsailor »

Yes the plan is to reinstall them to correct several deficiencies seen in the current installation. Given that, my thinking is that would be a good opportunity to replace them if there are better alternatives to consider (of course that gets into the ball vs. tapered cone etc. seacock arguments). To me, this isn't a part to cheap-out on - I want the most reliable seacocks for peace-of-mind even if that means paying more for them. Within the most reliable group, those requiring less maintenance would be nice. I've edited my original post to seek input from members who have direct, first-hand experience with this brand and type of seacock, and how they compare to traditional choices like Spartan.
MHB Sailor
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

NarragansettSailor wrote:Yes the plan is to reinstall them to correct several deficiencies seen in the current installation. Given that, my thinking is that would be a good opportunity to replace them if there are better alternatives to consider (of course that gets into the ball vs. tapered cone etc. seacock arguments). To me, this isn't a part to cheap-out on - I want the most reliable seacocks for peace-of-mind even if that means paying more for them. Within the most reliable group, those requiring less maintenance would be nice. I've edited my original post to seek input from members who have direct, first-hand experience with this brand and type of seacock, and how they compare to traditional choices like Spartan.
There is no end to finding something better. Your boat will swallow every dollar you have and ask for more...as if you have bottomless pockets and shamelessly neglected her. I would add that group consensus will keep you locked into standard middle of the road and at times myopic thinking. Sometimes it’s good. Sometimes it’s not. It’s hard when you are learning though. No group of people I have met has more unbending and wildly divergent opinions than sailors. So, be wary of decision by consensus. I tend to lean towards people who have a lot of personal sailing experience but who also think in ways that are philosophically similar to my own. For example, I’m a “less is more” kinda guy. I identify with Nat Herreshoff’s observation that “Simplicity afloat is the surest guarantee of happiness.” Thus, while I respect Nigel Calder, his reliance on cutting edge technology doesn’t work for me. So, while I would be foolish to ignore his opinions entirely, depending on the topic, his views don’t carry as much weight for me as those of say Larry Pardey or Evans Starzinger. If you have not done so, it’s important to figure out what you are trying to achieve with your boat and also to rack and stack the opinions you will hear. Anyway, I only mention all this because while Spartan Seacocks are robust, well made, and reliable they are insanely expensive and simply not the only way to go.

I can’t attest to Buck Algonquin’s seacocks, but I echo what Jim stated. They have a good reputation. You can also call them and chat with their tech section.

When I rebuild the FR I eliminated 7 of 10 through-hulls. After a lot of reading and research I made a phone call to Groco. I decided to go with Groco IBVF component seacocks. You can read about my decision process via the link. Scroll down about half way. http://www.farreachvoyages.com/projects ... rline.html

Were it me, I’d go with a less expensive seacock than Spartan Marine and use the savings to have sails recut, or buy a spinnaker, or get all new running rigging, or....

There is no one solution. Get what you want. But install them correctly and have fun. There are certainly worse ways to spend money than on a sailboat that brings you pleasure.
Last edited by John Stone on Jan 12th, '20, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

John Stone wrote:There are certainly worse ways to spend money than on a sailboat that brings you pleasure.
Don't I know it. Good whiskey :D and bad women :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:
John Stone wrote:There are certainly worse ways to spend money than on a sailboat that brings you pleasure.
Don't I know it. Good whiskey :D and bad women :(

Hahahahaha. True. Roberto, there is a very witty saying we use in the Marines I could add to your observation but given this is a family channel it’ll have to wait till we meet at the bar in the West Indies.....
MHBsailor

Post by MHBsailor »

John thanks so much as always for your outstanding reply. I too appreciate your advice to listen to experienced voices and share your philosophy of "keep it simple" and my TY Senior is about as simple as they came from the factory (the only two through-hulls are for the cockpit drains and there aren't even any cutouts on the back of the cabinhouse for a knotmeter, compass, etc.). She came with fairly recent Doyle sails that are in great shape (main and 130% on a Harken furler that functions flawlessly) and the previous owner had already replaced all of the standing rigging except for the forestay, so I had that done before I started sailing her. While my primary mission will be daysailing the Narragansett Bay, I'd like to get out to a local island like Cuttyhunk overnight a few times this upcoming season too. So having quality seacocks is really important, and I don't mind spending extra for a critical safety item whose failure could sink my little boat in Buzzard's Bay. I looked seriously at a couple of used local 25Ds last year and went sailing on one, and while I liked the additional cabin space, I just don't have the time to maintain one properly while I work full-time due to the many additional systems it has compared to my TY Senior, which is about as simple as one can make a small keelboat :D . JD
MHB Sailor
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

There is an Apollo Conbraco ball valve in my boat. It is for the direct discharge of the head. Since I haven't sailed far enough offshore to be able to use it, I haven't paid it much attention, save to work it back and forth occasionally. I decided this year to see about lubricating it so sent a query to the manufacturer. I received a prompt reply and diagrams of the valve. One stated that it does not need lubrication and the person that responded to my original email said they only recommended lubricating with fresh water.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide