help need replace solenoid Cape dory 28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

arch007

help need replace solenoid Cape dory 28

Post by arch007 »

the stop button on my kubota panel does not work.

think it is the stop solenoid. have betamarine 12 hp.

what model solenoid should I get ?

thanks
Bryce

Re: help need replace solenoid Cape dory 28

Post by Bryce »

I had the same issue with my Beta 16 a few months ago. Test the button with a multimeter first to see if the circuit closes when the button is pushed. My problem turned out to be the button. Cheap & easy replacement.

Another easy check is to remove the wires from the back of the button but keep them separated. Start your engine then touch the wires together. The button does nothing but close that circuit. If the engine shuts down the problem is the button.
Last edited by Bryce on Oct 10th, '19, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: help need replace solenoid Cape dory 28

Post by Neil Gordon »

Bryce wrote:I had the same issue with my Beta 16 a few months ago. Test the button with a multimeter first to see if the circuit closes when the button is pushed. My problem turned out to be the button. Cheap & easy replacement.
If the button works, see if the solenoid is getting power before concluding it needs to be replaced. The break in the circuit could be anywhere between the button and the solenoid.

When I repowered with my Beta, I was hoping to keep the manual shut off from the MD7A, but the lever on the Beta needs to move forward, naturally the exact opposite direction the manual shut off was set up for.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698