Migrating south - Ct,NY,NJ

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

BrianW

Migrating south - Ct,NY,NJ

Post by BrianW »

We'll be heading south for the winter in a few more days (weather permitting). We have a CD28 that I have upgraded over the past few years. Doing the trip, will be myself, my wife, and dog. We're going to take the slow road going down there. Probably travel around 40nm (30 to 50) a day. We mostly anchor when possible and I intend to do the same for our trip. I don't mind picking up a mooring when I have to, especially if there is an available shower! I'm always looking for good stops where I can get my dog (a Border Collie) in to shore.

I've been sifting through my charts and looking at some stops in Long Island Sound, etc. We'll be heading out of Buzzards bay to Block Island or Newport.
We're looking for some suggestions for stops along the Connecticut coast. For NY portion, I'm guessing that we'll stage for the East River from City Island.

For New Jersey we'll be staging from Sandy Hook. I think we'll anchor over in Atlantic Highlands. From there, Manasquan inlet, Barnaget Bay (maybe), Atlantic City, Cape May (Cape May canal?). Then onto Delaware Bay, C & D canal, etc,etc,etc.

Anyway we're looking for some suggestions/advice for the CT,NY,NJ legs of our trip.

I'm going to try to keep a blog of the whole thing at - weirsailing.com
s/v CATALPA
1986 CD28 #385
Dartmouth, MA
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Re: Migrating south - Ct,NY,NJ

Post by Markst95 »

Noank Shipyard on the Mystic river (CT) is where I stop. You can tie off on the far left dock and enjoy some seafood at Costellos. the scallops are to die for... Be aware they are only open Fri, Sat, and Sun for the fall.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

If you haven't already done so, check out ActiveCaptain.com. It contains a wealth of crowd-sourced information that includes anchorages.

Here are some places we have found to be good choices along that stretch:

Niantic, CT - Good anchoring in the Niantic River inside the railroad bridge.

Joshua Cove, Guilford CT - Fine in reasonably settled weather, and especially if the breeze is northerly, as it often is in the fall, but don't try it if the wind has a southerly component.

Port Jefferson, NY - Still some room to anchor in the area south of RN "BT2"

Eaton's Neck, NY - A tiny harbor, but well protected. We were fortunate to have the place to ourselves, though I doubt that happens often.

Port Washington, NY - The town offers free moorings for 48 hours. Excellent place to re-provision as there is a grocery store just across the street from one of the dinghy docks. If you have to stay longer than that, you can move out to the anchorage, or pay the mooring fee. Stage for your passage of the East River here, not City Island.

Great Kills Harbor, NY - Room for a couple of boats to squeeze in outside the mooring field at the northeast corner of the harbor. If you can't find a spot here you can go to Atlantic Highlands, but it is a terrible anchorage compared to Great Kills.

You are going to have to do an over-nighter south of New York City unless you go into marinas at the inlets along the north part of the New Jersey coast.

Atlantic City, NJ - There is a decent anchorage east of Rum Point. The chart doesn't show that it is passable, but it is. Make sure you use an anchor with big surface area (like a Fortress) here, as the mud is very thin and most cruising style anchors just slide through it.

Cape May, NJ - Most everyone anchors off the Coast Guard station. It is a lousy anchorage, with reversing currents and constant wake, but after doing the coast of New Jersey you'll be happy to have it.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

Thank you for these great suggestions! I've been studying the ActiveCaptain site for a while and I agree, it is a valuable resource.

I am familiar with the Mystic area. If I don't stop over on the way down, I plan to head in there on the way back.

After checking this post, I read about Port Washington. Looks like a very convenient harbor. Moorings, launch service, food, what more could you ask for? Looking forward to it.

I had been eyeballing Niantic as a good protected looking anchorage.
I've read the ferry wakes around Sandy Hook could be tough. Great Kills seems like a good idea if I can find a spot to drop the hook.

This is really helpful.
s/v CATALPA
1986 CD28 #385
Dartmouth, MA
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

This is a bit beyond your request, BUT the trip into and up the Delaware River to the canal is dominated by strong tidal currents and heavy freighter/tanker traffic. Be prepared for that as well as indistinct shoreline. Stayed overnight at Cohansey River on the NJ side about 1/3 of the way to the canal. Entry not that easy to find, but well protected. Marina is close to nothing and may not be staffed, but a safe place. Consider calling ahead or securing local knowledge. FW.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)