Coaming backrests

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

robwm

Coaming backrests

Post by robwm »

Hi. Wondering if anyone has come across, or fabricated, backrests that fit over the existing cockpit coamings?. I find myself wanting to lean back when out on the water for any extended period of time and the existing coamings are just too short to provide much back support. The old back is not what it used to be and a decent backrest would make things much more comfortable.
Robert
1983 CD22, hull# 122
"Hunky Dory"
MHBsailor

Re: Coaming backrests

Post by MHBsailor »

I was wondering the same thing Captain. I've seen a few photos and videos of folks with CD22s that had backrests for the coamings but no info on where they came from. Great boat name btw :D .
MHB Sailor
robwm

Post by robwm »

Wish I could take credit for the name, but the previous owner gets the Kudos ...
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

robwm wrote:Hi. Wondering if anyone has come across, or fabricated, backrests that fit over the existing cockpit coamings?. I find myself wanting to lean back when out on the water for any extended period of time and the existing coamings are just too short to provide much back support. The old back is not what it used to be and a decent backrest would make things much more comfortable.
I agree the coatings are too low for good back support. I sketched out a few designs (simple enough to make) but have not gotten around to making them. In the meantime we picked up a couple “go anywhere” chairs three years ago which turned out to be stellar.

We use them offshore and at anchor. We love ‘em. They have a ratcheting mechanism in them and they fold flat for storage. They are probably not what you have in mind but might meet your needs.

138 reviews at 4.5 stars.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mar ... -_-Desktop
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robwm

Post by robwm »

Hmmm, this looks good. #1 contender if I don't attempt a homemade solution ! Thanks,
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

C Cushions. I highly recommend them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

A throwable cushion does it for me. They're fairly stiff and are required to be handy when underway in any case.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

John Stone wrote:In the meantime we picked up a couple “go anywhere” chairs three years ago which turned out to be stellar.

We use them offshore and at anchor. We love ‘em. They have a ratcheting mechanism in them and they fold flat for storage. They are probably not what you have in mind but might meet your needs.

+1 on these seats. We use them on both our Typhoon and CD22. As an added benefit compared to something that would only fit over the coaming, you can face them any way you want to--forward when running downwind, or up against the cabin house facing aft when at anchor.

To be honest, they are a bit too large to use with the backs placed against the coamings on the Typhoon--there just isn't enough space in the cockpit for that. But they work fine for that on the 22.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Robert
I remember seeing a very neat removable wooden backrest that fit over the coaming on a Concordia. I think it was in a very old issue of WoodenBoat magazine. I’ll see if I can find it.
camroll

Post by camroll »

I have wooden backrests that drop over the coaming boards. They are slats of wood attached to 2 boards that are hinged so that when not using it it can be folded up and put in a locker. I am heading to the boat in couple of days if you are interested I can take some pictures
Russ
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

camroll wrote:I have wooden backrests that drop over the coaming boards. They are slats of wood attached to 2 boards that are hinged so that when not using it it can be folded up and put in a locker. I am heading to the boat in couple of days if you are interested I can take some pictures
Russ
I’d be interested in seeing pictures of them. Always interested in different solutions to unique challenges.
robwm

Post by robwm »

camroll wrote:I have wooden backrests that drop over the coaming boards. They are slats of wood attached to 2 boards that are hinged so that when not using it it can be folded up and put in a locker. I am heading to the boat in couple of days if you are interested I can take some pictures
Russ
Definitely interested ....!
robwm

Post by robwm »

Gary H wrote:C Cushions. I highly recommend them.
Checked them out; the "J Back" cushion is along the lines of what I was thinking about. My only concern is that they may not add sufficient height .... Thanks!
robwm

Post by robwm »

John Stone wrote:Robert
I remember seeing a very neat removable wooden backrest that fit over the coaming on a Concordia. I think it was in a very old issue of WoodenBoat magazine. I’ll see if I can find it.
Thanks!
robwm

Post by robwm »

wikakaru wrote:
John Stone wrote:In the meantime we picked up a couple “go anywhere” chairs three years ago which turned out to be stellar.

+1 on these seats. We use them on both our Typhoon and CD22. As an added benefit compared to something that would only fit over the coaming, you can face them any way you want to--forward when running downwind, or up against the cabin house facing aft when at anchor.

To be honest, they are a bit too large to use with the backs placed against the coamings on the Typhoon--there just isn't enough space in the cockpit for that. But they work fine for that on the 22.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Appreciate the feedback. These still look like the best at this point. Thanks!