Roller furling for a Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

whistlerntwinks

Roller furling for a Typhoon

Post by whistlerntwinks »

I've had my Ty Weekender since 1986 and since I usually sail on Barnegat Bay with winds less than 12knots, I've never felt the need to consider installing roller furling. We usually fly the working jib, and it is rare for us to change sails when we are out on the bay. If we need to switch to the storm jib or the genoa, we usually can figure that out when we are still at our dock. When out this week with my husband who is now in his seventies, I thought about how much nicer it would be for us if we didn't need to leave the cockpit. I'm a few years younger than him, and we are both in great shape, and are tiny, so moving around on our little boar isn't generally a problem. But, I'm not thinking of selling Purrfect and do plan to keep sailing. Should I go for a roller furling head sail and if so, is there one you recommend?
.....find your divine spark
Diane
Brimag

Re: Roller furling for a Typhoon

Post by Brimag »

Hello, I'm always so happy to pull a line and have my Genoa rolled in seconds later .My Typhoon had a Hood flex furler. CDI makes one also.The Sail Warehouse has a package deal with sail and furler. You can also ask local sailmakers .I think you should go for it, you won't be sorry!!
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I used the working jib for 2 years on my 1976 typhoon then installed the CDi #1 roller furler with a Genoa - it is so easy to drop the main then sail into the dock with the Benny rolled in part way - so easy to do. I just bought a replacement Ginny from Vermont sailing partners - reasonable price fast service and it is perfect. The owner spent an hour with me in designing the sail and it fit perfectly. You will never regret it.
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

I think you answered your own question...;). Yes a furler makes sense as one gets up in years so to speak.

Re furler brands. Pro Furl, Furlex, Harken, Hood, Schaefer are all very high quality furlers. The CDI is an interesting design in that it’s a flexible furler, ie the track used to slide the heads’l is a flexible single piece of extruded plastic. Very tough material and if you step/unstep your own mast without using a crane I would suggest the CDI as it can be bent without harm. More traditional furlers have aluminum tracks that cannot bend...CDI’s also have a built-in halyard.

I recommend the CDI with ball bearing option to make for a smoother furl under load.

Of course make sure your sail is properly equipped with luff tape, luff cushion (so you get better sail shape when partially furled), and protective cover. On the latter some folk swear by a sock vs a sewn in cover on the sail. If you’re in a protected marina I’d go with the sock, if on a mooring get the sacrificial cover sewn on the sail.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

I have had CDI units on a typhoon, a cd22 and a hunter 34....all worked ok without issues except the extrusion gets alittle warped and raising and lowering the headsail can get tight and be a physical challenge......I had a snap furl with no issues....if I were buying one today CDI would not be number one on my list....
rjnale
Location: 1982 CD Typhoon Daysailer "Typhoon Mary" Hull #97 model K Syracuse NY

Post by rjnale »

I have a Shaefer Snapfurl CF-500 that came with my CD Typhoon Daysailer. The previous owner installed it. So can't comment on installation issues. It's has been working perfectly and is on its 12 yr of service.
To second some of the previous comments, what a dream to roll up the jib or shorten sail with the pull of a rope!!!
You won't regret the investment.
Johnd

Post by Johnd »

I have a Type 0 Harken complete system, purchased it with our 27. Brand new complete $500 + shipping.

John d
Godspeed 27
Chesapeake Bay
CDSOA member # 1325
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I purchased a CDI Furler, used to install on a 22 ft sailboat. After fiddling with it for awhile I took it off and went back to hank on. I like simplicity and the extra lines, especially the jib sheets which are now up off the deck got in the way of anchoring on such a small foredeck. I always found the working jib on the Ty worked the best, never put up the genny although I sail where the winds are pretty steady. If I had problems with dropping the foresail, I would just use a Gerr Downhaul.