Far Reach Hauled Out—For the Year

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Far Reach Hauled Out—For the Year

Post by John Stone »

As much as it pains me we had the Far Reach hauled out today and put on the hard for the year. We chose a small subcontractor boat yard in the larger Jarrett Bay marine complex. This little boat yard welcomed us with open arms. They also allow you to do your own work without additional charge. We were fed up with Beaufort Marine Center.

Reasons for the year long haul out—couple factors at play. The kids (twins) just started college on Saturday—UNC Wilmington. We want to be close to them this year as they get adjusted to the college environment. So no sailing back to the Caribbean this winter.

We also have some projects to tackle.
1. I’d like to add a robust rub-rail. I have been planing this project since we launched her after the rebuild. I kept the original bronze rub-rail knowing this project was coming all along.
2. I want to build and install a removable light weight but stiff drop in platform to make the cockpit flush.
3. I’d like to get the mast down and inspect it (its been up for 4.5 years) and do some touch up paint work on it.
4. And...we are looking very hard at installing a small Beta Marine inboard diesel. I have vacillated on the inboard for years. I don’t want to open up the aperture so this would be a complete custom design incorporating a two blade folding propeller to negate negative issues that degrade sailing performance. In other words, when I am sailing...I don’t want to know it’s there.

I’ve done some research and sketched it out. I have discussed with someone I trust. I’ve spent a few hours with the US Beta Marine distributor and put my hands on a few engines. It will be a small one though.

Before we do anything we need to build a template of the engine footprint and see if it will even fit given the way we want to install it. So this is not a done deal by a long shot. And to be honest I am not convinced it’s the right thing to do. There are a number of spiraling design and implementation issues. I’ll write more about it and will detail it on my website.

We had an easy trip today. I sculled the boat out of her slip at 0730. But sadly we were on a schedule. Had to be at the travel lift by 1300. So, once out on the Neuse River we started the outboard and worked our way downstream in very light air. We eventually hauled up the mains’l and motor sailed downwind. Once we got into Adams Creek (ICW) we hoisted the jib and were able to sail close hauled a bit in a light SW wind. It was soothing to feel the boat heel under my feet once again. Then all too quickly it was wind on the nose in a narrow channel...drop sails and motor the rest of the way to Jarrett Bay.

The travel lift operator was just outstanding. Super professional. Could not have been nicer or more competent. We tied the sling straps together which everyone with a sailboat that has a long keel should do. The boat was lifted and transported to her spot without issue. The travel lift operator told me she weighed in at 15,000 lbs. That seemed a little light to me but I like idea she is lighter than I thought...if the scale is right.

So that’s it for now. We will see what happens regarding the inboard and how many projects I can complete this year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Re: Far Reach Hauled Out—For the Year

Post by Jim Walsh »

Looks great. If you do go with an inboard will you be going with an offset prop shaft? I can’t imagine you’d want to go the aperture route at this stage.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

I kinda know how you're feeling. I've been out all summer while we went up to Alaska with the RV. Hoping to launch Sat for a very short season. I'll need to haul out early Oct.

I know you're agonizing over the engine, but the Far Reach is so damn good looking and the outboard just breaks the spell. Beta would be a good choice. If my Volvo ever gives up the ghost, that's the route I'd take.

The rub rail should be an interesting project.

When you launch her again if you're ever looking for crew to the Caribbean , give me a shout.

Jerry
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Jim Walsh wrote:Looks great. If you do go with an inboard will you be going with an offset prop shaft? I can’t imagine you’d want to go the aperture route at this stage.
Jim,
I’m headed to the boat this morning to flush the outboard with fresh water and take a few measurements to get things rolling.

Agree. I have no desire to open the aperture up. If it will work, I’ll take the same approach as Hal Roth with Whisper. I’ll gladly sacrifice the loss of performance motoring in reverse to improve the performance sailing forward. I need to map it out. That’s a Martec prop on Whisper. I’ve been corresponding with Flex O Fold.

Jerry,
RV trip to Alaska...I’m envious. Concur on broken spell. I appreciate the crew offer. I secretly want to make the voyage to Europe (does that mean it’s not a secrete anymore?). Lots of things have to line up to make it work though. Right now, I’d be happy with a voyage back to the Caribbean or Maine or.... I was weed whacking the yard the other day and day dreaming about the Azores. But, I have to remind myself, first things first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

John,

Have you considered a diesel/electric combo? Might be just the ticket for Far Reach.

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

mgphl52 wrote:John,

Have you considered a diesel/electric combo? Might be just the ticket for Far Reach.

-michael

Hi Michael. Slide over to the projects tab—started a thread on the engine install there.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

John:

For those of us who are "computer challenged", can you provide the website address for your "projects tab" or similar :?: Thanks.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:John:

For those of us who are "computer challenged", can you provide the website address for your "projects tab" or similar :?: Thanks.
Roberto, on the projects tab on the CD forum. I apologize for the confusion. Try this:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36770
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

My error. I thought the "projects tab" you referenced was somewhere on your Far Reach website.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil