New owner of Cape Dory 30

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Kickin Bears

New owner of Cape Dory 30

Post by Kickin Bears »

Just wanted to post an official hello as a new CD30C owner. Original plate still attached (pic below). She’s currently named “Kepit II,” soon to be named “Hunky-Dory”. She’ll continue to stay at Hartge Yacht Marina on the West River off the Chesapeake Bay.

We picked her up to learn to sail; we’re lifelong motor boaters so boating isn’t new to us. Took her out last weekend for a three day Chesapeake Bay cruise, two nights on the hook, for our maiden voyage (that’s two adults and two teenage daughters!). We had a great time

Really appreciative of this community, and look fw to interacting with everyone!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
S/V Ethan Grey

Re: New owner of Cape Dory 30

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

Welcome aboard from Niceville, Florida. She looks fantastic.
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

She is a beauty :!: Welcome aboard our small family.

As you no doubt have heard, it is customary for a new caretaker of a Cape Dory sailboat to buy a round of drinks (not the house brands :!: :wink: ) for all CDSOA members. You can expect members to visit you at Hartge Marina for very serious "inspection visits". :wink: :D :wink: :D

Again, S/V Honky Dory is a beautiful Cape Dory.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
robwm

Post by robwm »

Popular name "Hunky Dory". I became the happy owner of Hunky Dory, a CD22, about a month or so ago. Found her through this list and right on Travis Lake, just outside of Austin, which is where I live. The previous owner (actually in one of the two pics) named her. Like you I like the name and decided to keep it.

Don't mind sharing the moniker just beware that it is a popular name. There is at least one other Hunky Dory that I have found listed in the registry; I believe also a 22. Also some of the older posts make reference to a 22D in Florida named Hunky Dory. Welcome to the "sisterhood"(?) !!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Several (many) years ago I looked at a Cape Dory 25D named "Hunky Dory" that was home ported in Niceville, Florida
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Welcome to the CD family!
She is a beauty! You've got an active CD fleet on the Chesapeake, so don't be shy ... sign up for cruises and rendez-vous.
Fair winds, etc.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Kickin Bears

Post by Kickin Bears »

That’s awesome; riding the same cosmic wave! We chose the name for the phrase’s polysemy. Applies so well :D

Nice to meet you all
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Several (many) years ago I looked at a Cape Dory 25D named "Hunky Dory" that was home ported in Niceville, Florida
Yep! That CD25D belonged to a good friend on mine. He was the original owner and first sailed her on Lake Carlyle, then moved her to Lake Lanier before coming to Niceville. I was really shocked when he told me he was selling her.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

She's a beauty. Welcome aboard. You found the best group of sailors on the web!
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

Pretty boat.
Last edited by moctrams on Jun 5th, '19, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

moctrams wrote:Look forward to soft decks, cockpit sole and worst of all a new engine.
"Always with the negatives waves [Moctrams]; always with the negative waves". Kelly's Heroes :wink: :wink: :D :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by moctrams on Jun 5th, '19, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

:)
Last edited by Sea Hunt Video on Jun 5th, '19, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Geez.... not *every* older boat has/gets "soft decks" or needs engine replacement. Properly cared for, a Volvo diesel can run for quite a long time.
As for the cabin sole, that too, depends on care and/or personal preference. Mine looks like pretty lousy, but it has *NO* affect her sailing abilities.
I'm guessing I'm *may* be running near the end of my Volvo, but since I sail *far* more than I motor, I just ain't worried about it!
I am far more about sailing my Cape Dory than worrying about the "Bristol finish." YMMV
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Looks great!