CD 25 Water Tank

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

casampson

CD 25 Water Tank

Post by casampson »

I'm ready to launch and wondering if I should fill the water tank up in the bow or leave it empty, as it has been for at least the year I have owned the boat. I really have no need for a great deal of water as we mainly day-sail, but the boat does sit high in the bow and I would prefer that she lay flatter on her water line.

Opinions? Pros and cons?

Thank you.

Chris
pete faga

Re: CD 25 Water Tank

Post by pete faga »

Chris
If you have a electric bilge pump you can always empty the tank if the weight is a problem.
casampson

Post by casampson »

Decided to fill the water tank this morning before launch. Filled it up halfway very quickly and then it seemed to slow down, if not stop altogether. Scratched my head for a while and decided to remove the drain plug from my keel. Water. Checked my bilge, and it was full. Looks like the old water tank has a rather large crack in it. A project for next year.

Chris
casampson

Post by casampson »

Fellow CD 25 owners:

Can someone please describe what the water tank in the CD 25 actually looks like please? In my boat, there is just an empty space between the V berths that has an access port cut into the top. I did see some sort of tubing at the bottom of the space, which I assumed led to the sink. But there is no separate tank, no bag, nor anything else that actually looks like it was designed to hold water. So I'm wondering if my tank is as it should be, or if something has been removed, because water poured out of it just about as fast as I put it in.

Thanks very much.

Chris
bgephart

Post by bgephart »

It sure does sound like you have a leaking tank, if there even is a tank??? My 1979 CD25 and my previous 1974 CD25 both had / have a plastic water tank that fits snugly into the v berth under the bunk. There is a large plastic screw on access cap immediately below the wooden access hatch you mention. Tubing runs from the tank to the sink. Hope this confirms what you are seeing.

Bob Gephart - Savannah