"Cape Dory Cruisers" company

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dean Abramson

"Cape Dory Cruisers" company

Post by Dean Abramson »

Does anyone know anything about this outfit?
https://capedorycruisers.com/?fbclid=Iw ... E15LYH4BJ8
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Capt Hook

Re: "Cape Dory Cruisers" company

Post by Capt Hook »

Look at the "History" page. I think it's under the far right pull down menu. Maybe "Other."
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

Thanks, Cap.

It's kind of sad to see the Cape Dory name used for such boats.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I'm curious. I wonder if the CD Board has discussed this development? Probably not but perhaps at the next board meeting...but I’m just guessing. I bet with a little imagination a very clever conspiracy theory could be concocted. All kinds of interesting rumors could be spread about. With enough twists and turns it might even make it on to 60 minutes.

The Far Reach is related to every Cape Dory made...some are full brothers and sisters while other might be half brothers or sisters....but she is related through a common heritage? The new company seems to think their boats are related to our boats....

Will the new boats be...what?

So, what makes a Cape Dory a Cape Dory? Will the new boats be eligible for registry on the forum? If so will the specs of the new boats be listed as well? Or are they just boats with the same last name...with neither a relationship through birth nor marriage nor adoption.

Interesting....

From the new company’s website:

Sailboats
"Cruising The Wind and the World"

CAPE DORY™ SAILBOATS

Cape Dory has made some pretty fine sailboats since it began in 1962. Over 2,500 in fact. Some were large, some were small, but all were romantic ladies of the sea.-"To The Core". Many sailors today are looking for that romance of the sea that we once shared. That romance that carbon spars, powered winches and beeping electronics just cannot convey. Just like a Cape Dory Sailboat, simple, safe, comfortable and fast. Enough to get there and slow enough to enjoy the ride. While not currently in production you can expect to see the all new Cape Dory Sailboat series in the future completing the heritage, pedigree and authenticity of the iconic Cape Dory Brand.
Last edited by John Stone on May 10th, '19, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

Despite the name similarity, there is a world of difference between Cape Dorys and C-Dorys. In my opinion, C-Dorys are homely (not to mention not sailboats), and I don't think they are rated as great power boats; but admittedly, I don't know power boats. It would appear this owner perhaps wants to trade on brand confusion.

Me, I doubt they ever build any sailboats. And I doubt they ever build any pretty boats, either.

Put me in the Skeptical column.
Last edited by Dean Abramson on May 11th, '19, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I'm with Dean A.

"What a revoltin' development this is :!: " Life of Riley
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
casampson

Post by casampson »

I don't know who they are or what they are doing, but they have a lot of nerve publishing a picture of John and Jackie Kennedy on their website. I find it offensive.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

And I wonder...do they own the rights to the CD logo?