Splash Day ...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

fmueller

Splash Day ...

Post by fmueller »

Hey all.

Splash day pix ... I'm in early this year so I thought I post some pix.

Bullock Cove Marine, Narragansett Bay

Not much to do - bottom paint along the "scum line". Going from 2 banks to one bank, so just paralleled the batteries. Still need to flush the closed cooling loop in the motor. It was pretty chilly. Next warm day halyards and sails - and good to go.

Post your splash ...

cheers Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Walter Hobbs

Re: Splash Day ...

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Hi Fred,

Nice talking to you the other day.

Boat sure is pretty. A level of Bristolness(?) to strive for.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Outstanding Fred. You’ll be sailing before you know it. What’s up with the jackets and coats? Brrrrr....
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I hate you guys; I'm looking at six inches of snow today! Where's philosophy when you need it?
Paul
CDSOA Member
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Fred:

S/V Jerezana is gorgeous :!: The topside red and deck colors really stand out.

Question: I do not see any horizontal lines connecting the two lift straps. I was always told to make sure the two lift straps are secured to each other to prevent the forward strap from slipping UP on the forefoot at the bow and causing the Cape Dory to drop bow down onto to concrete or water.

Are there straps but just not pictured :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Wow, Fred, Jerezina looks stunning! When we rafted up a few seasons ago, I think she had white topsides.
You're way ahead of me, but this year I plan to splash just before Memorial Day, the earliest for me in many years. That's because I'm having the yard do most of the work, including the brightwork, which I'm having taken down and finished professionally. That should mean I just touch it up every year for a while.

Best,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

I think the horizontal lines connecting the two lift straps are below water line. Guys at my marina do this after lifting off of jack stands
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Hey Walter,

Considering my son has his business in Bristol (and did most of the work), I guess it is "Bristol" ... we'll have to hook up soon maybe do a little parallel sailing.

Joe,

If I get up your way this summer I'll be sure to give a holler ... I might try to get out to Nantucket, or maybe just do a "Tour de Buzzards"

@ Sea Hunt / Roberto

You are right, after all we don't really want to "splash", and if you look closely at the stern shot you'll see retaining ropes looped around the straps down low. Those led forward to the bow strap. They were respecting the shiny new paint I think, so they kept them down low against bottom paint plus wrapped the straps in plastic.

Cheers

Fred
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay