Gasket jig

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Steve Laume

Gasket jig

Post by Steve Laume »

I made up a nice gasket jig to cut and install the port hole gaskets on our boats. I had been lending it out and only asked that it be returned when the user was finished with it. It is still out there and has not been returned. If you have it could you please get it back to me at the address that is written on it. I thought it would be nice to be able to lend it to anybody who could use it but it has to come back to make that work for us all. If you have it, just give a reply here and send it on back as someone else wants to use it, Steve.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Re: Gasket jig

Post by Joe Myerson »

Please return Steve's jig. I have been sending excess gasket material to those who asked for it (it's all gone), and recommending that they use Steve's great jig to cut the gaskets to size. Steve has been generous enough to lend this tool out to CDers, and it needs to be returned. Thanks,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Steve:

I assume you have not heard back yet so I thought I would "bump" your post/request to the top of the pile.

Hopefully, someone will respond to you soon.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

Mea culpa. Sorry. I don't frequent the Board these days, but upon seeing this post, I went straight to the post office. The jig should be to Steve on Monday. Thanks. And sorry again.

FWIW, I ended up making my own jig because Steve's didn't fit in my ports. It worked for making the gaskets, but it didn't work for holding the gasket in place as the jig and gasket are pressed into place during gluing. Perhaps that was due to some casting irregularities.