Travel Lift Question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jneely

Travel Lift Question

Post by jneely »

Having just had our CD27 Troika's hull painted with Awlgrip I am dreading her being launched in the yard's travel lift. Specifically, I am worried that the straps will harm the new paint. Other than asking the yard to hose down the straps or putting towels between the hull and the straps does anyone have any creative ideas to protect the hull? Thanks for all responses.
terrible23

Re: Travel Lift Question

Post by terrible23 »

Two layers of heavy-duty(0.05?) visquene (sp?) between strap and hull used to work well.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Had the FR three times in the slings after I Awlgripped her. Talk to the yard. Good ones understand your worries and a good operator knows how to keep the straps off the paint...usually. Take pictures of your hull/topsides before they lift it. Inspect the straps for debris, sand, barnacle debris. Visquene as mentioned. I have also used indoor out door carpet taped to the straps when the yard did not show the care I wanted. Good luck.
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

jneely wrote:Having just had our CD27 Troika's hull painted with Awlgrip I am dreading her being launched in the yard's travel lift. Specifically, I am worried that the straps will harm the new paint. Other than asking the yard to hose down the straps or putting towels between the hull and the straps does anyone have any creative ideas to protect the hull? Thanks for all responses.
At the very least, cut yourself four appropriately-sized pieces of clean corrugated paper (aka "cardboard") attach a loop of cordage on one end to recover them from the water with a boat pole once the boat floats, and then if necessary cover the pieces with clean cloth of some sort. Make sure you are on the scene when the boat goes into the Travelift, explain your concerns to the operators, and go from there. If your yard is either unwilling or unable to accommodate your concerns, then it' time to look for a new yard. Awlgrip is a bit tougher than most folks think, but it's your money and you will just have to be proactive to ensure things go well.

One final thought (and take this in the spirit it is meant): It's only a plastic boat that you are supposed to enjoy, so worry less and enjoy more.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

JNeely:

I had the topsides of S/V Bali Ha'i professionally "Awlgriped" a couple of years ago at a boatyard. I also had the bottom sanded, prepped and painted with Sea Hawk Tropikote.

The yard installed large plastic wrapping around all four (4) of the lift straps to prevent rubbing/scraping. It worked well; no issues.

Make sure the yard also attaches two (2) horizontal lines securing the forward lift straps to the aft lift straps. Given the shape of our hulls (cut out forefront) you want to prevent the forward straps from slipping forward and having your Cape Dory do a nose dive onto the concrete yard.

Felice Anno Nuovo :!: :!: :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

I second the idea of wrapping the straps with plastic stretch wrap. Most big box home improvement stores carry it, as does U Haul and on line stores such as the picture from an "Amazing" on line store. Also, our travel lift operator has some old 12 x 12 cockpit cushions that he places at the boot stripe and the toe rail just before tightening up the straps, to relieve pressure on the painted topsides.

Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

You really have to be careful about wrapping the lift straps in plastic ... they can lose their "grip" on the hull.

I would only do that where the straps contact the newly painted topsides if you are that worried about scuffing the finish. A little scuffing on the bottom coat hardly matters.

cheers
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

fmueller wrote:You really have to be careful about wrapping the lift straps in plastic ... they can lose their "grip" on the hull.

I would only do that where the straps contact the newly painted topsides if you are that worried about scuffing the finish. A little scuffing on the bottom coat hardly matters.

cheers

Good point and clarification. Protection is only needed where the straps would damage the topsides paint, not the entire set of straps. No need to wrap them where the only contact is bottom paint. My Travelift operator always ties the straps together fore 'n aft as well to prevent slippage on full keels and cutaway forefoot keels like most Cape Dorys have,
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2