Intrepid 9M - winter cover manufacturer recommendations

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Keith O

Intrepid 9M - winter cover manufacturer recommendations

Post by Keith O »

Hi all,

We're entering our second winter season with our 1979 Intrepid 9M ('Silver Lining') and preparing to have her shrink wrapped for the second time.

We are looking for recommendations for a winter cover shop for a reusable canvas cover as we don't really want to throw this much money and shrink material away again. Ideally l'd like to find a company that already has a pattern for the Intrepid 9M or Intrepid 28, or who is local to us so they can take measurements and make adjustments. I'm leaning against
tarping or trying to reuse the shrink wrap, though I realize those are cheaper options.

We are located in metro NYC.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Keith

PS - First post for us as new-ish Cape Dory owners - woohoo!! What glorious boats these are!! We're looking forward to continuing to enjoy her and to learning from all of you!!
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Re: Intrepid 9M - winter cover manufacturer recommendations

Post by moctrams »

They made a great cover for Gabbiano.

ShipShape Products Inc.
732 E. 4th St
Duluth, MN 55805

Phone: (218) 624-5677
Email: shipshapecanvas@me.com
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Our cover was made by Fairclough in 2003. We had it restitched last year and expect to get at least several more years out of it. It's very cost effective in the long run but the initial investment may seem a bit much. Unless you are a masochist have them add a zipper down the middle so you only need to handle one half at a time. They are in New Haven, CT.

http://www.fairclough.com/
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I second the Shipshape recommendation. There are quite a few of them now up in our neck of the woods and I have worked with new ones and seen some a few years old now. They are well made of stout material and have a good fit. He's got a pretty good measuring system. They go on and come off pretty quickly too, once you do it the first time. I don't like that they come down to the rails and not over the stantions but if you don't need to work under the cover much it is fine.

This is probably the way I'll go when I get sick of shrinkwrapping Femme.
Paul
CDSOA Member
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

The Canvas Store made a very nice cover for us back in 2011 and it is still going strong.
Cover 2010.jpg
Here is a link: http://www.thecanvasstore.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Dave H

Post by Dave H »

Hi Keith,

Ship Shape in Duluth, MN made the cover for my I9M. I don't know if they file numbers or patterns. Great cover!!

Dave H.
I9M #45 "Sandpiper" formerly "Easy Rider"
Keith O

Post by Keith O »

Thank you so much folks!! We'll put feelers out to all of them and see what happens..and we'll keep an eye on this thread to see what else gets suggested. Definitely glad to know Ship Shape has done an I9M before...so not as much worry about long-distance measurements.

Dave we're glad to know where #45 is. We've got #22.
Jim Cornwell

Post by Jim Cornwell »

Another enthusiastic vote for ShipShape. Very responsive. When a tricky part (bowsprit) didn't come out just right on Yankee, bow section of cover went back to Duluth at their own expense and an adjustment was made in no time! Great service. Cover has shown no signs of degradation after three years, including a year-long lay-up.