ABI Bronze Windlass For Sale (SOLD)

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.

Moderator: bobdugan

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

ABI Bronze Windlass For Sale (SOLD)

Post by John Stone »

We have a standard ABI double action bronze windlass on the Far Reach. Has worked very well for us. Came across another one two years ago in good shape. It was being used as a door stop. I purchased it. Not sure why. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Today I took it apart and will clean it, grease it, and put it back together.

The windlass on the Far Reach is a newer model. It has two chain pipe rings: one for the chain under the gypsy and the other for line under the rope/warping drum. I only need one ring as my rope bower exits the deck in a different spot. So the second windlass fits my deck layout better than the one installed now.

I plan to sell one of these windlasses. Both are for 5/16 HT or 5/16” BBB chain. Just not sure if I am going to swap them out yet. They are both the same. Very tough and well made. Very few parts.

Let me know if your interested in purchasing the one I don’t use. I plan to head off in Nov so there will not be a lot of time to think about it.
Attachments
ABI double action bronze windlass disassembled and ready for cleaning.
ABI double action bronze windlass disassembled and ready for cleaning.
A31DFC67-AA9F-42FF-9CEE-56A3D43BED21.jpeg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 689 times
Last edited by John Stone on Nov 11th, '18, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Laume

Re: ABI Bronze Windlass For Sale

Post by Steve Laume »

I have been searching Craig's list for one of those for quite some time, so I would be interested. Pulling 90' of chain by hand is getting as old as I am, Steve.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Any idea how much it weighs? I am running 5/16" chain, spliced to rope. I don't see the chain gypsy in the photo but don't imagine it would handle the rope. That would be okay as it is mostly, the chain portion of the hauling that gets to be a pain in the back. That windlass would look mighty fine on the foredeck of Raven, Steve.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Steve
Whether you purchase my windlass or pick up one in your area, I think I it’s a great windlass and ideal for a CD 30.

I failed to include the chain gypsy in the above photo. Attached photos below.

Hope to have it reassembled this week.
Attachments
95C0792B-9466-48C9-8825-D2C3D83FA4E1.jpeg
95C0792B-9466-48C9-8825-D2C3D83FA4E1.jpeg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 655 times
AC31124C-8837-497E-BCB4-2BD79FA80199.jpeg
AC31124C-8837-497E-BCB4-2BD79FA80199.jpeg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 655 times
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Cleaned the parts today. Soaked all the SS parts in a passivation solution.

Those are all the parts. No springs. No seals. Very simple and robust. Why do engineers have to make things so darn complicated. Simple and strong is always better but it seems our choices these days are mostly limited to complex fragile systems and components. I don’t need my windlass to make my coffee and provide a GPS fix. I just need to get the anchor up and down easily and without drama and without hurting my back.

Will reassemble tomorrow.
Attachments
E777E87B-E4CD-4A83-B938-B3DA11D5CF90.jpeg
E777E87B-E4CD-4A83-B938-B3DA11D5CF90.jpeg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 621 times
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

John, ratchet-geared windlasses are still being manufactured in the US by the RC Plath Co. in Oregon (over 60 years).
I was fortunate to find an Albina 7B windlass on eBay, for little more than the price of shipping. When I received it, it would only ratchet in one direction.
It turned out to have a bad bushing. RC Plath has replacement parts for Plath, Albina, ABI and other windlass brands.
Total cost for a new bushing was $13.50, including shipping.

A description of the operation of a ratchet-geared windlass can be found on page 716 of Nigel Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical And Electrical Manual, 3rd edition.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

hilbert wrote:John, ratchet-geared windlasses are still being manufactured in the US by the RC Plath Co. in Oregon (over 60 years).
Hilbert, right you are. I contacted Plath during our six year rebuild to inquire about the 7B. They were not very responsive but perhaps that has changed. I can’t remember the cost of a new one but I recall it made me gasp...thus, I kept looking for a used one.

The FC 34 I spliced the rigging for this summer had a new Plath 7B. I used it a bit. For some reason it came without a chain stripper and would bind when hauling in chain. The photo of the 7B in the Plath website shows the 7B without the stripper. Kaj had to fabricate a stripper from the pictures I sent when I got home. The handle they provided was only 18” long and not really useable so he had to have a new one made. Last report I got it was working well.

The used ones (ABI and Plath) are out there. The trick is finding one that is repairable. I have seen them so poorly taken care of they could not be disassembled without damaging them.
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

John Stone wrote:I can’t remember the cost of a new one but I recall it made me gasp...thus, I kept looking for a used one.
Cape Dory Sailboats have sold for less than the cost of a new bronze ratchet-geared windlass.
There is no doubt that a Stone refurbished windlass is mechanically sound and a good investment.

I would not admit to having a "chain stripper", after what happened to Romney when he let it be know that he had "Binders full of women". :oops:
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

hilbert wrote: I would not admit to having a "chain stripper", after what happened to Romney when he let it be know that he had "Binders full of women". :oops:
Well, I all I can say is watching a quality chain stripper work is a sight to behold.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Removed my windlass today to see if the one I am rebuilding would fit. No. The hole pattern is different by about 1/4”. With a possible departure date just 50 days away I am not willing to build a new base and modify the G10 Base plate. So, I will continue to rebuild the one pictured throughout the post and clean and reinstall my windlass below.

So, if you are interested in purchasing the rebuilt bronze ABI let me know.
Attachments
I removed the windlass from the FR and checked the fit with the one I am rebuilding. Slightly different hole pattern.
I removed the windlass from the FR and checked the fit with the one I am rebuilding. Slightly different hole pattern.
18DC45AF-D960-448D-8828-11EC805A7AE9.jpeg (2.93 MiB) Viewed 545 times
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

The windlass has been stripped, cleaned, greased, and reassembled. Used Ted-Gel on the set screws. Used 30 weight motor oil on the pawls. Waterproof grease on drive and idler shafts and gears. Works perfect.

The only thing left to do before I complete the sale is to take apart my windlass to make sure it works equally as well. Once that is accomplished she will be ready to ship.
Attachments
Disassembled, cleaned, greased, and reassembled. She is ready to go.
Disassembled, cleaned, greased, and reassembled. She is ready to go.
7768617C-CE04-4C9A-B229-E498E4D602C7.jpeg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 522 times
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Hi John, I'm curious do those manuel windlasses crank up as you work the lever back and forth or are they like a ratchet only crank up as you pull the lever back.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

John, the ABI and the Plath 7A and 7B are “double action” meaning they retrieve with the handle going forward and backward. The drum/gypsy is released By turning the clutch knob, outboard the chain gypsy, CCW. Tighten the clutch by turning it CW.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Thanks. It sounds like an awesome machine. I hope I can try one someday.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

John
Just keep an eye out for one. You will see them around. Not hard to rebuild.