Location recommendations for solar-powered vent on a 25D?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

AMcC

Location recommendations for solar-powered vent on a 25D?

Post by AMcC »

I plan on installing a solar-powered vent on the cabin-top of my 25d this winter. I'm thinking of putting it on the port side (just off center-line), aft of the mast. Any tips/suggestions/things I need to know?
-Alec
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Location recommendations for solar-powered vent on a 25D

Post by tjr818 »

The easiest install is to put the solar vent in the lexan hatch. Those newer solar powered vents are all plastic, so put it somewhere where it will not get stepped on.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

I just added one to my CD26 and I put it on the plexi hatch. If you ever change your mind down the road, you can get a replacement lens for less than $100. Filling a 3” hole in your deck will be much more complicated. Also, these vents are somewhat flimsy, even the pricey ones like the one I got for $175.
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

I placed Rhapsody's between the mast and the hatch. This placement put the vent entirely in the head (on the inside). At least in my case the vent wouldn't fit the hatch without cutting the cross member or having a significant overhang aft of the hatch.

I was concerned that the jib sheet would slip under the edge (due to crown in coach top) and flip the whole thing off the boat leaving a (in my case) 4 + inch hole but everything is a compromise. Can't find pic of finished project but here's one showing hatch (notice cross bar) and cut-out location.

Fair winds
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Member #250.
AMcC

Post by AMcC »

Thanks to all - I have the cross-member in my forward hatch as well, something to consider.
-Alec
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

The first pic is of the finished job and the second is what your core should look like?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Member #250.
AMcC

Post by AMcC »

Great looking core!