1GM Tranmission dipstick hole

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Darwin

1GM Tranmission dipstick hole

Post by Steve Darwin »

Not at the boat, so asking if anyone knows the diameter of the 1GM gearbox dipstick opening. I need to get a tube to extract and change the oil. Boat coming out for the season tomorrow (sigh).
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: 1GM Tranmission dipstick hole

Post by tjr818 »

I am not sure of the configuration on the 1GM, but on the YSM8 I found if far, far faster and easier to put a larger diameter hose into the oil fill, I could easily get the 1/2" diameter tube down to the bottom of the oil pan. Trying to do through the dipstick hole required a hose that was about 1/8" ID, going through the where the fill cap is I could use a hose with a 1/2" ID.

Best of luck, sorry to see seasons ending so soon, here in sunny Saint Louis we get to sail until the end of October, maybe even a few weeks in November.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Interesting/innovative approachTim. Not too sure where the oil input is on the ysm 8 but it might be worth a try (carefully) on the 1GM.

Sri Capt Darwin, I no longer have the boat, but about 1/8" hose will do and I had a fluid extractor which greatly simplified the process even if through an 1/8" hose.

Capt Tim, hope you and the Admiral are well.

OPPS! My bad I thought you were talking about the crankcase/oil pan not the transmission! Sorry.
Bill Member #250.
steveg

Post by steveg »

My guess is the hole is about 5/8 to 3/4 inch. Of course it is metric. It is a pretty good size. I have a small copper tube, with perhaps an 1/8 " id fit inside of a piece of clear hose hooked up to the extraction pump to remove the fluid. The dipstick hole is significantly larger than the od of the copper tube.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

Nice boat washed up on front yard. Why do folks ignore hurricanes?
Last edited by moctrams on Sep 20th, '18, 12:56, edited 2 times in total.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I may be way off base (I often am :oops: ) but I think Steve is asking about the transmission dipstick, not engine dipstick. The original transmission gear box on the CD 25D used the same oil/fluid as the engine. The only access to the gear box on a CD 25D is from the portside locker. I am not sure of the diameter of the gearbox dipstick.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
steveg

Post by steveg »

It is possible to access the transmission dipstick from inside the cabin. First remove the panels which allow access to the engine, both the top and side panels. Then you reach in over and behind the engine from the access area next to the sink. Once you find the dipstick by feel, loosen it with your wrench and remove it. Not too difficult. You can check it out with a small mirror and flashlight.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?