CD Typhoon Running Lights

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ty3

CD Typhoon Running Lights

Post by ty3 »

Just purchased a "79 CD Ty and would like to install running lights. Anyone done this and any advice/help appreciated!

Thanks.
sloopjohnl

Re: CD Typhoon Running Lights

Post by sloopjohnl »

if you're talking lights just for sail mode that is pretty simple. i made a wooden box to contain the circuit breaker board and attached it to the cabin liner above the end of the quarter berth. from there i ran a wire to the aft deck for the sternlight along the top of the quarterberth liner. tight working quarters here! for the port/starboard lights i drilled thru the coachroof halfway aft of the port lights and the backrest teak wood. for the light on the opposite side of the circuit breaker board i ran wires under the cockpit sole. at the same time i also ran wire for an auxillary 12v dc cigarette lighter style plug receptacle for 12v dc accessories such as a fan and flood light.
the real work comes when you also want a light showing forward to indicate you are motoring. i installed a light and bracket on the forward side of the mast a bit above the jib halyard exit sheave. i ran the wiring inside the mast using messenger lines attached to the main halyard while the mast was down on a set of horses. takes a few tries to hook the messenger line thru the exit hole for the light wire. you need to very thin messenger lines attached to the halyard - one to attach the light wire and one to pull the main halyard back down. you will also need to drill an exit hole for the wire at the lower end of the mast - mine is just above the the cleat on the starboard side. the most testing part is running wire for the mast light wire attachment point. there is a plywood section in place of balsa wood core at the mast tabernacle. this made the best possible location for the wire attachment point to be forward of the mast tabernacle at the forward end of this plywood core. i used an electrician's fish wire to fish a messenger line from the hole drilled in the coachroof, between the bottom of the deck and the top of the inner liner. i also fished a wire to attach a light inside for the cabin.
materials were:
tinned wire
perko plastic housed running lights (the chrome ones deteriorate and pit pretty quickly)
mast mounting bracket for mast light
coles hersee 12v male/female socket mast wire and coachroof wire hookup
sea dog (or other) fused circuit breaker board.
plastic loops for securing electric wire runs as needed.
teak mounting block - for stern light to elevate it above the aft deck teak trim.
cabin light with teak trim and push button on/off switch
coles hersee cigaretter lighter plug receptacle.
12v battery located under the companionway

hope this helps. well worth the effort.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

ty3

Post by ty3 »

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

ty3
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

I second the idea of using the Attwood portable LED lights as running lights for a Typhoon. On our Typhoon we use a piece of elastic cord to attach the Attwood bow lights to the forward cleat and another to attach the stern light to the stern cleat. Inexpensive, no wiring to run, no electrical panel, battery, charger, etc. needed. The stern light can be used for steaming, sailing, or at anchor depending on how you orient the light. Battery life is amazing. We have anchored overnight 3 or 4 times using the white light as our anchor light with the same set of AAA batteries, and it is still burning brightly.

Unless you are going to be night sailing frequently and extensively (and why would you with a Typhoon?), there is no need for a fixed electrical system and permanently installed running lights.