Typhoon Weekender cabin top sag - replace deck?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Rick Gedney

Typhoon Weekender cabin top sag - replace deck?

Post by Rick Gedney »

I have hit a roadblock on the restoration of my 1976 Ty. The cabin top sag is severe and the deck cores are shot. My sag is in excess of 2" and holds water on the deck. I installed a compression post but it is 40 years too late. In talking with my fiberglass/paint shop the owner said he know of another Ty that someone bought for parts and the deck could be in much better shape than mine. He suggested that it may be preferable to replace the top rather than do all the restoration glass work.

I tried to find the company that has the molds for the boat and see if they sell decks. I planned to paint and install new fittngs and ports and re-bed everthing anyway.

I love the boat but this deck and cabin top repair may be too $. Hate to scrap her for parts.

Open to all ideas and experiences.

Thanks.

Rick G.
casampson

Re: Typhoon Weekender cabin top sag - replace deck?

Post by casampson »

How much have you invested in the boat so far?
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

casampson wrote:How much have you invested in the boat so far?
Don’t give up! Anything is repairable- where are you located?
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Post by bhartley »

I used a floor jack and a lot of patience. One turn every few days after the initial tightening. I must have a pictures some where but its been a while. At the right height, I installed a stainless adjustable post. When the height was right, I recored the deck. Sweet sailing boat and a very satisfying project.

Bly
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Post by bhartley »

Here's a link to a few photos. I'll try to find the ones that show the plate going down to the keel. The jack and post BOTH were on the keel not the liner as the photo may imply.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PR2hsjFd2JdEczgC8

Jack in place with heavy duty cardboard rolls (from newsprint) wedged in place to support the weight before removing the jack to install the deck post.
The finished stainless post and the finished product.
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I also have a 1976 Typhoon and have installed an adjustable compression post. However I used a custom fitted 2" x 12" pressure treated board that spans the liner without cutting a hole in it. (I figured that it was the path of least resistance at the time). I also custom fitted a block underneath the mast fitting with recesses for the bolts holding the mast tabernacle in place. I used 1" stanchion bases to attach the compression post with a thin metal plate under them to prevent the 1" stainless tubing post from digging into the wood blocks. Then I adjusted the compression post gradually without the mast in place until any sag was out. Once I stepped the mast and adjusted the rigging she has been sailed m=now for 9 years and no additional sag. If I ever needed to extend the compression post to the keel, I still have that option. The liner actually contacts the hull and by spreading the load with the 2"x12" I think that all is well. The core in the deck is not waterlogged or compromised, so that may also be a factor. Good luck - she is worth the effort!