One More Question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

casampson

One More Question

Post by casampson »

How do you get the tiller on an outboard motor to stick through the trapezoidal opening in the motor well? Right now it just rests on the traveler at a 45 degree angle, which interferes with operation and prevents me from closing the lazarette. The motor is a 2016 Tohatsu 6hp Sailpro, if that makes a difference.

I believe I can remove the traveler and other trim to drop the tiller into the opening, but I would have to slide motor to the starboard an inch or two to make the tiller fit.

Advice?
Chrisa006

Re: One More Question

Post by Chrisa006 »

I never managed to get the tiller through the opening. If I was going a distance and didn't need the controls I would fold the tiller arm back and close the hatch.
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
bgephart

Re: One More Question

Post by bgephart »

Same here - and my CD25 is named Windsong too, and I also have the Tohatsu 6HP 25 inch SailPro. If you were able to get the tiller handle through the opening, you would greatly reduce the ability to steer with the motor, which can be helpful in a tight spot. I just fold the handle back and close the hatch if I need to motor very far, which is seldom.