replacement gasket for fuel cap

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

xxhat

replacement gasket for fuel cap

Post by xxhat »

I have a cape dory 28.

For safety I would like to replace the rubber gasket on the fuel cap.

But it does not look like a normal gasket. Can I use a normal gasket and where can I find the gasket ?

Also gasket for the water cap.

Thanks,

jim
Steve Laume

Re: replacement gasket for fuel cap

Post by Steve Laume »

It is a good idea to replace the seal on your fuel fill. That one little piece of rubber is all that keeps rain and spray from entering your fuel system.

The seal is an O ring, rather than a gasket. If you open up the caps, on a nice sunny day so as not to have to worry about water getting in, it is pretty easy to deal with. I use a dental pick to remove the old O rings. Once you have the old ones in hand, it is easy to take them to an auto parts store and have them matched up. You might as well do the water and pump out at the same time and get extras to keep in your spares box. Before you put them back on the caps, be sure to clean things very well and rub a bit of waterproof grease on the rings. It is good to grease the rings every year, even if you are not replacing them. If the O rings get to the point where they are crushed too much it will cause the caps to jamb and or water to enter. This is a very cheap and easy bit of maintenance that could have dire consequences if neglected, Steve.
Frenchy

Re: replacement gasket for fuel cap

Post by Frenchy »

Just want to add that a vernier or dial caliper is very handy to measure the thickness of the O-ring and the
diameter of the cap thread to get the I.D. It's also useful for getting thread diameters, hose i.d.s, shroud diameters,
depths of blind holes etc. For me, anyway, it's really indispensable. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts