CD25D tiller bolt

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John #126

CD25D tiller bolt

Post by John #126 »

As others have commented, I have play between my tiller and the rudder head. A few years ago I upsized the bolt slightly from 3/8" to 11 mm.
But the holes keep wearing a bit each year to the point that there is some slop in the steering.
Any suggestions other than to continue upsizing the bolt and reaming out the holes?
Also, was the original a bronze or SS bolt? That might be part of the problem.
Thanks,
John #126
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: CD25D tiller bolt

Post by John Stone »

Hi John
I don’t understand exactly what you are describing. The bolt should not be creating a bigger hole. Can you post a few pictures so we can offer some recommended actions?
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

If memory serves correctly, I believe the originals were bronze pins that were pinged on the ends. Along the way, many get replaced and rarely with the exactly right size... That I had happened to KAYLA. Fortunately I have a friend with an awesome machine shop. He took both pieces and bored them to the next nearest size stainless shouldered bolt. He even brought me a pair of bolts & nuts!
Always great to have helpful friends!!!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
KMagill

Post by KMagill »

I reworked my tiller (CD25D) by both drilling the hole to the next bolt size and adding silicon bronze washers (McMaster-Carr) to both sides of the post.
All it takes is a little tightening once or twice a season and the tiller stays very solid.
Keith Magill
SV Take 2
Cape Dory 25D Hull 106