CD25 inspection

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

DaveR

CD25 inspection

Post by DaveR »

I'm going for a first look at a CD25 (on a trailer)that I'm thinking of buying. (I'm leaving the year out of this to gather as much input as possible)

Is there anything specific or any specific areas I should be looking for initially?

I will of course have a professional survey done if it pass my first look
steveg

Re: CD25 inspection

Post by steveg »

I would be alert for soft area of the deck or cockpit sole. There is balsa core in those areas and if any of the fittings leaked long enough to rot the core, a soft area will result. If the fittings are leaking it will eventually rot the core. It is not particularly complicated to repair but quite a bit of work and material expense. There are enough 25's out there to find one in good condition.

Is this a boat that has seen time in saltwater? What is the condition of the rigging, when was it last replaced? If it is a freshwater only boat, corrosion is not a serious issue, at least in my experience.

What is the condition, age, details on the outboard. A six hp extra long shaft is adequate, although some may disagree. Is it newer, well maintained, or does it otherwise need to be replaced.

See what gear is included as it can be expensive to acquire if you start with little to none. The trailer can be a big plus if it is road worthy and in good condition. The condition of the sails, as they are expensive to replace.

Overall is it well equipped, well maintained and in good condition? If not, keep looking. There are a lot of projects out there. Do not buy a project unless you want to have a project and not be sailing. Getting a well maintained and well equipped boat, there will still be plenty of projects to keep you busy after you go sail it for a while. After sailing it for a while you can prioritize any improvements.

I am not sure a survey is necessary, if you are getting a good price and it is in good condition. If you do not know much about boats, see if you can find someone to look at it with you who has experience and buy them dinner. There may be many who disagree with this opinion, you know what they say about opinions. Do not be afraid to walk away if you are not sure. It is better to miss an opportunity than get stuck with a big expensive project you are unprepared for. You could easily exceed the cost of the boat if it needs new sails, rigging, motor and anything else. Pay attention to all of the details. It is easy to overlook all of the small details when you are looking at a relatively large boat.

Good luck.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Steveg gave you some good pointers. The CD25 is a simple boat without complicated boat systems. Some CD25s came with gate valves. If you see a gate valve, plan on replacing it very soon with a proper seacock. Look for signs of standing water INSIDE the boat. If you see it, that's a sign of general neglect. Does the boat smell? Cleanliness is a really good indicator of the care of the owner. Your insurance company may require a survey, but I agree, it's probably not necessary to make a go/no go decision. Don't forget to look closely at the trailer, too. There is plenty of time to fall in love with a boat, once you own it. Until then, you need to be very objective.

The CD25 is a blast to sail! I loved mine, but it was too small for a family of five. They are prone to weather helm, if you carry too much sail. Reef early, and the helm will balance. Good luck!
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

Check the embedded chainplates on either side with a mirror, looking for rust seepage.