Typhoon & Typhoon Senior freeboard measurements needed ~

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

*AJ*

Typhoon & Typhoon Senior freeboard measurements needed ~

Post by *AJ* »

Hello All,

I am internet comparing a couple of boats and I am curious about the freeboard measurements on the two Typhoons. I searched the forum and do not see actual measurements in feet and inches.

If someone could drop some quick measurements for me of their Typhoons at bow, midship and stern, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thnx!
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: Typhoon & Typhoon Senior freeboard measurements needed ~

Post by Oswego John »

Hi AJ,

Here are the measurements on my Ty Weekender.

The water line was originally established with a laser level. The measurements that I now mention are from the deck level to the top of the water line. They were taken with a tape measure that closely followed the hull curves. The stern measurement varies greatly depending on where you hold the tape.

Bow 27 1/2"

Mid ship 18"

Stern 23"

You can purchase an el cheapo laser level in a Dollar Store, Home Depot, Harbour Freight or most home supplies store for surprisingly little money. If possible, try to get one with a tripod stand.

Good luck,

Think spring,

OJ
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
*AJ*

Post by *AJ* »

Oswego John ~ Thanks for the measurements!

Exactly what I was looking for ... now if someone with a TY Senior can provide the same, I'll be set.
Tod Mills

Post by Tod Mills »

How close do you need to be? I should think scaling off the brochure drawings would be accurate enough for most applications (especially since you don't know exactly where the people are measuring from or at along the boat). You could even compare Oswego John's figures with the brochure as a check for that boat. In the profile views, you have three dimensions at least that you can check for the scale: LOA, LWL, and Draft.

If you are unsure how to go about doing that, let me know and I'd be happy to help.
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
*AJ*

Post by *AJ* »

Tod, Actually I am comparing a non Cape Dory boat to these two Cape Dory models - the Typhoon and the Typhoon Senior. Knowing that people may measure from different locations, etc., I would like to have close to actual measurements just to get a feel for how the non Cape Dory's freeboard stacks up as compared. Looking at all three boats on Sailboatdata.com has given me the basics, however, I could find no mention of of actual inches of freeboard for any of the models and I am just curious as to how close to each other the freeboard mesurements are.

*AJ*
Tod Mills

Post by Tod Mills »

*AJ* wrote:...I could find no mention of of actual inches of freeboard for any of the models....

*AJ*
Oh, right, you won't find anything written saying what the figures are, but you could probably be quite accurate by scaling off the drawing on a brochure that you can download from this site. There is also a good chance that there is a brochure for the other boat somewhere on the internet.

Is there a particular reason you are so interested in freeboard? Generally, the lower (within reason) the better for performance (less windage), and the higher the better for interior volume.
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
*AJ*

Post by *AJ* »

Tod, As a novice sailor I have no particular reason other than visual aesthetics. Both the Typhoon Weekender and Typhoon Seniors are very pleasing to my eye. I do believe I would like a little more interior room than the Ty Weekender, however, standing headroom is not necessary as long as I can stretch out and be comfortable below. So, I am leaning in preference to the Ty Senior model which is closer to the third similar boat I am comparing. Presently my sailing experience is limited so I would like to talk to Ty Senior owners with more sailing experienced as to why they purchased their particular boat over other models. And, thanks for your replies to my inquiry, it is much appreciated, *AJ*